Everything We Should Have Said

As soon as the bar was lifted over my head, I took off running. I hopped down the stairs and bolted toward the outer field where I had seen Macy, my Macy, pacing below the trees. I had five minutes to get there. Five minutes to stop her. I felt like I was the main character in a movie, running to save the girl he loves at the last possible moment. 

I couldn't believe I had walked around this park all day and I never thought to check outside the fair's perimeter. Of course Macy wouldn't sit in plain sight if she was planning on killing herself. She would want to be alone, secluded. God, I'm so stupid!  

As more seconds ticked by, I dashed and dove in between the crowd of people. I ran past the Tilt-O-Whirl, and the Elephant Ears stand. I raced past the stage, where the band was playing and I charged straight through the line of people waiting to enter the Bouncy House. I didn't care who I knocked over in the process, all I cared about was reaching Macy in time. 

I had texted Kelly and Sam before I got off the ride and told them where Macy was. I told them she was standing under a patch of trees in the outer field, away from the crowds. I had told them because I had thought they would get there before me. I wanted them to make sure Macy was safe. But deep down, if I was being honest with myself, I knew that I wanted to get to her first. 

Adrenaline kicking in, I began to run faster, my legs felt as if they were bursting into flames. Finally, I broke through the crowd and I was out of the combustion. Nothing was in my way now. I ran faster and faster, not letting up, never slowing down. I looked down at my phone. I had sixty seconds. I looked up ahead, and there she was. 

She was walking toward me, her arms still wrapped tight around herself, looking down. Obviously, she hadn't seen me yet. 

I had about thirty seconds with two hundred feet to go. 

Faster, I ran like my legs weren't even a part of me anymore. They had a mind of their own. Every step bringing me closer to Macy. The faster I ran, the more I could see of her features. I saw her hair, her face, her eyes, her lips... 

Fifty feet away, I was so close I could practically touch her. 

"Macy!" I yelled, as I continued to run. 

She looked up, a reflex, hearing her name. I watched her face change as she realized it was me. I watched her let out a deep breath, I watched her unfold her arms, I watched her watch me run toward her. Even though I was only ten feet away, I felt like I was running in slow motion. 

"Max," She exhaled, as I slammed into her, my lips meeting hers. I kissed her like she was my air, like she was my oxygen. My arms enclosed around her, pulling her into me and holding on tight. The impact was unlike anything I had ever felt. It nearly knocked me to the ground. I had found her. Macy. After a moment of hesitation, she returned my pressure, her lips coming alive against mine. In a moment of release, we let everything go. Macy reached up and curled her fingertips up into my hair, tugging gently. I kissed her, letting go of my hold around her waist and placing my hands on her cheeks instead, cradling her face. I ran my thumb gently against her cheek as our lips broke away slowly. Never letting go of her face, we pressed our foreheads together, breathing in and out. Finally, after all this time, Macy was right here in my arms. I felt like I was dreaming.  

As we both tried to catch out breath, I continued to rub Macy's cheek gently with my thumb, just like I had always wanted to do. Macy wrapped her arms tightly around my waist, returning my embrace. I felt her physically relax against me, like a huge weight had just been lifted. Her shoulders began to shake, and I realized she was crying. 

It was the first time I had ever seen her cry. 

"Macy," I said, as she shook in my arms. I held her tighter, running one hand along her back, trying to comfort her in any way I could. "It's okay, I'm here," I whispered. Macy cried harder, trembling. I rested my head gently on hears, just holding her as she let it all go. 

"I love you," I said, finally saying what I had wanted to say for so long. "I love you so much. You scared me. Don't ever try to leave me like that again." 

I heard a bunch of footsteps coming up behind me. 

"Oh my God, Macy!" Kelly screamed as she ran up to us, tears already streaming down her face. 

Macy released me and turned to see Kelly, forcing a whole new current of tears to flow. 

"Kells?" Macy asked as Kelly pulled her into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"They helped me find you," I said, just as Sam ran over and pushed Kelly out of the way, crushing Macy into him. 

"Sam," she whimpered into his chest, through her tears. "Sam, I'm so sorry about your Jeep," Macy began to apologize. 

"Don't even worry about that," Sam said, shaking his head. "I'm just glad Max found you before it was too late. What were you even thinking?"

"I just... I couldn't do it anymore, Sam," Macy cried, letting him go. "I couldn't stand my life anymore. I needed to do something."

"So you sent Max on a wild goose chase to hunt you down?" Kelly asked, always discrete, gesturing to me. "Do you have any idea what you put Maxwell through these past two days? He was a wreck, Macy. Like, you have no idea."

"Oh wow, thanks for that, Kells," I said, feeling my cheeks flush crimson under Macy's intense gaze. 

"Well, you were," She said, shrugging and giving me yet another signature Kelly Moreno glare. 

"Max," Macy said, wiping her eyes and walking over to me and pulling me gently back into her. She placed a soft kiss on my lips. I could practically hear Kelly's jaw hit the ground. "Maxwell Brennan, I love you so much. I'm sorry I never told you that. I should have told you before. I should have told you a lot of things. I should never have hidden everything I was feeling from you. You are my best friend, more than that. You cared enough about me to come all the way out here to find me. I will never forget that. I'm so sorry for what I put you through these past two days but from now on, I promise, things are going to be different."

"I love you," I said, as I leaned into her, wanting to hold her as close to me as humanly possible. "I should have told you that a long time ago."

"I love you," she said, staring up at me with those dazzling blue eyes that stole my heart. "I should have just let you kiss me last year on that stupid Ferris Wheel," Macy began to laugh, and I heard Kelly and Sam gasp. 

"So...," Kelly started.

"Was that the thing...," Sam began. 

Macy ignored them both and continued on. "I know I've got a lot I need to work on, Max. I know it won't be easy... But, I want to get better. I just may need a little help."

"I'll always be here to help you," I said, smiling at her, so she would know I meant every word. 

"I know," she said, smiling and reaching down to slide her fingers in mine. "Now come on. Let's go home."