Chapter 3

"You did what!" Maddie screeches, looking at me like a deer caught in headlights. I quickly scoop some Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream in my mouth.

"I went to a frat party and gave my virginity to a stranger," I say with my mouth full, hoping she won't hear me clearly.

"Why the hell did you do that, idiot?" she says, slapping my shoulder gently.

After the party Maddie picked me up and took me straight to her house, her parents are the absentee workaholic types so they're only around on special occasions, leaving Maddie in the house on her own, that's where I come in. Maddie and I have been best friends since freshman year of high school, even though we're polar opposites.

Madison is popular, she's the head cheerleader so the other students treat her like royalty. Just like the cliché, Madison has long golden locks and pretty blue eyes with long lashes. She's tall, thin and extremely beautiful with high cheekbones, a straight nose and plump pink lips. The only unusual thing about her is the fact that she's best friends with the school outcast; me.

"I'm sick of being treated like shit because I'm the only damn virgin in our grade! You know, they cornered me in the bathroom earlier today and did this!" I fume, throwing my arm into the open space between us. Maddie pulls my arm closer, inspecting the blister before looking up at me in outrage.

"How dare they do that to you! Lexie this is not okay, you need to tell somebody!" She rants. We've had the conversation many times now and it always ends the same way.

"Maddie, you know they'll only deny it. They always do. Besides, I'm no longer a virgin, nothing left for them to pick at now," I breathe a laugh, looking down at the ice cream tub on the duvet. Madison removes the tub from the bed and puts it on the side table before attacking me in a bear hug.

"I can't believe they pushed you to the point of giving up the one thing you valued most," she sighs, keeping me wrapped in her arms. Tears fill my eyes at her words. She knows I wanted to wait until marriage, that I wanted to give my virginity to someone I was in love with, not some random college boy. Within seconds I'm reduced to a pool of tears in my best friend's arms as she strokes my hair and tells me everything is going to be okay. I end up crying myself to sleep.

*     *     *

The next day is a Saturday. I stretch like a cat as I open my eyes. Next to me the bed is vacant and there's a strong smell of burning bacon wafting through the house. I laugh as I get out of bed and walk to Madison's kitchen. I find her covering her nose with her top and running around like a mad woman, trying to balance buttering toast, turning sausages and frying bacon at one time. Shaking my head I walk up to the cooker and turn the gas off. Black smoke is rising from the frying pan and I look in to find three strips of what I could only describe as charcoal. I quickly throw the fail bacon away and join my friend at the island table.

"You are dangerous," I laugh, grabbing a piece of burnt toast, Madison's speciality, and taking a bite. She glares at me playfully before grinning and taking a sip of her orange juice. 

"How did you get to the party last night?" She asks around a mouthful of decently cooked sausages. I take a sip of my juice before answering.

"I drove but I took some shots when I got there so I couldn't drive home. Oh, damn it! I've got to get my car! Could you drive me please?" I ask with puppy dog eyes. They don't work the way normal puppy dog eyes do, people only give in to me so I'll stop scaring them with my creepy ass face.

"Sure, we'll go after breakfast," she smiles. We finish our burnt breakfast special, get ready and leave to retrieve my car.

I parked my old, beat up Volkswagen a few houses down from the building where the party was, since the street was already filled with cars by the time I had arrived. Madison dropped me off right next to my car, I thanked her and she drove off. I walked around my shitty, little car, towards the driver's side. I place my bag on the bonnet of the car and rustled through it for my keys. I swear my bag is the same make as Mary Poppins', can never find a damn thing in it.

As I'm searching for my keys I hear a door open and shut from the house behind me. I ignore it and continue rustling through month old receipts and other pointless things. I think I need to clean my bag. I nearly squeal from happiness when I finally get a grip on the cool metal of the key ring, tugging it out with a victorious smile on my face.

I unlock my car as somebody walks passed me. This time I look up at the person, nosy girl that I am, and instead of seeing some random person, as I was expecting, I see a pair of familiar blue eyes staring back at me. Oliver. 

We say each other's names simultaneously. I laugh and awkwardly lean against my car.

"Hi," I squeak, not sure what else to say. Oliver grins, showing off his almost perfect teeth, there's a small chip in his front tooth, and quite frankly, it makes his smile a lot hotter. He looks even more attractive in the daylight, like he wasn't attractive enough in the dark.

"Hi to you, sweetheart," my stomach erupts into butterflies at the word 'sweetheart'. I've always had a weakness for pet names, and sweetheart is one of the best.

"I was just, uh, getting my car. I left it here last night when..." I let my sentence trail off when I realise I'm babbling nonsense. Oliver runs his fingers through his hair causing it to stick up at random angles. I bite my lip pathetically.

"Well I live here," he states with a cheeky grin, gesturing to the house I'd parked in front of. Typical. His grin falls into a flirty smirk as he continues talking in his deep rumble. "So, how about lunch?"

I cross my arms and suck at my cheeks to stop from grinning myself. 

"I've already eaten," I reply honestly. Well, if you count munching Madison's burnt toast as eating. Oliver frowns slightly for a second before his face brightens again.

"What about milkshake?" He asks, wiggling his eyebrows playfully. I snort a laugh and end up grinning despite my efforts not to.

"I'm lactose intolerant," I fib, trying to keep a straight face. Oliver's face turns into one of a wounded puppy and I can't stop myself laughing.
"I'm joking, milkshake sounds great." I say.

"Good, let's go, there's a place just around the corner," he smiles and starts walking away. I lock my car back up and follow behind him. No strings attached, my ass.