Chapter 5

The weekend flew by and before I knew it Monday had arrived. I was awoken by my parents screaming at each other at 6am. It's my very own, fucked up, alarm clock. They're like this every waking hour of every day, which is one of the reasons to why I spend most of my time at Madison's house. I quickly get ready for school as my parents continue their fighting, very loudly might I add. Poor neighbours. 

Once I'm ready I quickly text Madison, asking if she's awake. She answers within seconds.

Madison: Yes, bad morning?
Me: The usual. Can I come over?
Madison: Of course, I'll make breakfast for when u get here.
Me: No! I'll cook. We both know your culinary skills r slightly off! :P 
Madison: Rude. Get ur chef ass over here, I'm starving. 

I text Maddie to say I'll be there soon as I walk down the stairs. I sit on the last step and pull a pair of boots on. Just as I'm zipping up my shoes my mother emerges from the kitchen, still in her pyjamas. My dad storms out after her. They start shouting about how my mother works too much and how my father never helps out around the house without even noticing I'm there.

I sigh and mutter a sarcastic good morning. They both blank me, continuing their petty argument instead. I roll my eyes and stand up just as my mother shoots her arm out to exaggerate something to my father. Thanks to my great timing, her hand collides with my face, snapping it to the side. The slap echoes around the passage as everything falls silent. 

That fucking hurt.

My mother starts fussing over me, apologising profusely and claiming it was an accident and blah blah blah. I simply look her in the eyes and shake my head in disappointment before grabbing my brown leather bag off the passage table and leaving, making sure to slam the door behind me.

*     *     *

"Woah, what happened to your face?" Maddie greets me as I walk into her kitchen.

"Don't even go there," I huff before walking towards her fridge and getting out milk, eggs and bacon. I then grab flour from it's designated cupboard. 

"Bacon and pancakes?" I ask. Maddie nods, while looking at me with a weird look on her face.

"What? Is it that bad?" I panic, touching my cheek as if I could feel the mark. I wince when I poke the spot where my mother's hand had connected with my face. Madison shakes her head, her face losing the weird look.

"No, it's just a light bruise, barely noticeable. Also, as if I'd say no to pancakes and bacon."
"True, especially with my amazing cooking," I joke, Maddie scoffs and makes us both coffee while I cook our breakfast. It's always a good idea to keep her far away from the stove.

"How do you manage to eat without making yourself ill when I'm not here?" I laugh, genuinely curious. 

"I get takeout, and jeez Alex, I'm not a complete invalid when it comes to cooking, I can use a microwave," she says, throwing her arms up in the air and in turn knocking the sugar onto the floor. I laugh at her but don't reply. She definitely cannot use a microwave. The last time she tried to use a microwave she burnt popcorn. How the fuck do you burn popcorn? The instructions on the back of the box are pretty clear. I'm not even going to mention the time she blew her toaster up. The girl could burn salad. Yet her parents still leave her to fend for herself.

After breakfast, Madison and I go to our separate vehicles to drive to school. Yeah, I know what you're thinking right now, oh my gosh, what are you doing, Alex, you should go in the same car as it's better for the environment, well, I'll have you know I'm not completely ignorant to the health of our planet, it's just Madison has cheerleader practise after school and I'm not walking five miles to retrieve my car; call me lazy.

I arrive at school half of an hour before the bell, Maddie left to remind her team of practise, leaving me to deal with the haters alone. Yes, I just said haters and no, I'm not proud of it.

I stroll to my locker, ignoring all the stares and whispers, assuming they're talking about the bruise on my right cheekbone which has surely gotten worse by now.

As I'm grabbing my books from my locker someone bumps into me, hard. I turn to glare at the stranger and his snickering friends. One of them mutters an insult which I don't catch. Out of fear I turn back to my locker, I don't want another incident like Friday's because of my new found 'bravery'.

The bell rings for class and everyone starts to move in different directions. As I'm on my way to Biology, also known as the most boring subject ever taught, I get nudged again. I ignore it and continue walking until next thing I know I'm pushed harshly into the cool metal lockers, knocking the breath out of me. I land with a bang causing some passer-by's to glance at me before looking away in disgust.

After catching my breath, I look up to find Katrina The Teenage Bitch standing over me with an evil smirk on her all too perfect face.

"Heard you've been sleeping around. Whore."

A/N:
Poor Alex, she can't catch a break. I have three wonderful people to dedicate this chapter to. Firstly palestoran for her fabulous cover which is on the side ->, check her out; she writes amazing One Direction fanfics. Secondly TamaraWilliams4 for inspiring me with her out of this world culinary skills (the popcorn burning and toaster explosion are just some examples of her great work). And last but not least brogan_sarah14, just for being an amazing and supportive friend, check her new werewolf story out; she's brilliant and original.

Thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment, I'd really appreciate the feedback! Thanks :) xoxo

P.S. Sorry for the long ass author's note and short ass chapter.