Ch. 5

I leave Paxton's office seeing Ted and Jack watching Emily get into her Ford fusion. I can see she's been crying. I do feel bad for her, regardless of the marks on my arm. I slip into my truck before Ted notices me. When I pull out of the parking lot I decide to do something for birth control. I drive into the neighboring city to the nearest pharmacy.

I walk into the sex protection aisle by the pharmacy counter and notice the options are endless. Are you kidding me? This is crazy! I know my jaw is on the floor. Who needs this many options for contraception? They can't be that different from each other. I read the labels which isn't helping me any, It just confuses me even more.

I must have been standing there too long. Because I hear, "Can I help you with something?"

I turn and see a young man in a lab coat standing behind me. He has dark hair and dark brown eyes about 6 foot and muscular build, very handsome. This is the guy I have to ask about condoms? He's the pharmacist? Of course.

"I don't know what to buy." I admit, turning red.

I can tell he's fighting a smile, which ticks me off a little. "Uh, okay. What exactly are you looking for?"

"Isn't it obvious? Why are there so many anyway?" I ask, irritated.

He laughs. "I have no idea. Marketing ploys, I guess."

"Figures." I mutter.

"You've never bought them before, I take it."

"No." I answer, honestly.

"Well, are you looking for a particular person?" he asks, awkwardly.

I narrow my eyes. "Yes."

"Well, they come in sizes." He says, pointing to the racks.

"Sizes? How do you know what size to buy?" I ask, appalled.

He's fighting his smile again and I cross my arms and glare at him. "Sorry, it's just...never mind. Are you going to be with the same man? I mean if there's only one man, then just pick the size you think will fit him." He corrects himself.

He thinks I'm a slut! "Yes. I get that, but what if his "area" is the only one I've ever seen? How do I know what size, if I can't compare it to others?"

He full out laughs at me now. I really don't like this guy, what a helpful pharmacist... not. I roll my eyes at him and turn back to the selection. "I'm sorry it's just I've never had to answer these kinds of questions before. I don't really know how to help you." He replies smirking, but thinking at the same time. He walks closer. Leaning over he whispers. "Show me with your hands, how big his "area" is."

I hold up my hands then think, when it's hard or soft?...I look back into the pharmacists smiling eyes. I whisper back. "When it's hard or soft?"

He chuckles. "Hard." He replies.

"Good. I don't think I could answer the other one. It's like this big." I respond, holding up my hands.

"Okay, that helps. Is he big around?"

"Yes." I say, without hesitation.

He nods his head and picks up a black box that says Magnum in gold letters. Good thing I asked, I liked the light blue box better. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He says, smiling back.

"I'm glad I was the first one to ask you all those questions. You need the practice." I mutter, smiling and narrowing my eyes playfully.

"You're right. I'm ready for all the sixteen year-olds now." He teases.

"Sixteen! That's horrible. Not to mention it makes me look pathetic." I add, horrified.