Ch. 19

Walking up the stairs in Paxton's house I feel drained. All I want is a nice hot shower. Paxton's hand on my butt tells me he has other plans. He's been unusually quiet since we left. I thought he was just as tired as I was. His hands are definitely telling me a different story.

"You're not tired?" I ask.

"No, not really. I can tell your beat though."

"Yeah, I want to shower and sleep." I answer, walking to the bathroom.

"I want to ask you something, but I don't want you to take it the wrong way."

I watch him as he struggles to find the words he wants to say. "It's fine. Just ask." I encourage him.

"Is there something between you and Bryan?" Of all the things I thought he'd ask this was not one of them.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"Never mind."

"No, talk to me." I demand.

"Baby, I've known him since I was sixteen we're close. I've never seen him stare at someone for so long or smile at them like he did you, tonight. He really does want you. I thought it was just his reaction to seeing you practically naked, but it's not, its more."

This catches me off guard. I know he was looking at me but it could have meant lots of other things too. I think Paxton is jumping to conclusions. "You don't know that Paxton. Maybe he's trying to see what it is that you like about me. Or I could have had food on my face...there's a million other things. Why go to him liking me? If you're concerned about it talk to him." I suggest, turning on the shower on.

"I plan to. I just wanted to make sure you didn't like him back."

"Paxton, really? I've met him three time's, two of which I completely embarrassed myself. I like Bryan, but I don't know him or have any interest in him."

"You guys seemed to get along well. There were times I think you were flirting with him."

I look at him like he's crazy. I turn the shower off. If he wants to have it out, we can have it out. "I was not flirting with Bryan. Stop reading so much into this."

"I want to know exactly what happened between you both at the pharmacy."

"I told you what happened."

"All of it? He didn't hit on you or tell you he was jealous that you had a boyfriend?"

I start thinking back to the day, "All he said was that you were a lucky man and asked if it was serious. I held up the box of condoms and said yes. When I was leaving he introduced himself. He asked if I'd take his number, so if it didn't work out with you, I could call him. I told him no."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I didn't think it mattered. It still doesn't matter what he wanted to happen between us. I'm sure Bryan knows that too." I say, frustrated.

He takes a breath. "Sorry, I'll talk to Bryan. You didn't do anything. I was just pissed off at the way he was with you." He steps forward and turns the shower back on when his phone rings. He looks at the screen. "It's Bryan." He states, answering. "Bryan."

I watch as he listens, I can tell he's irritated by what he's hearing. "Yeah, I'll tell her. Can you do lunch tomorrow?" Paxton asks. "No, just you and I." He replies, running his hand through his hair angrily. "Good, how about Roussos Twelve o'clock?...alright see you then." He hangs up.

"Bryan wanted me to tell you that the movie he recommended at dinner is on cable at nine o'clock." He growls, "When I asked him to go to lunch tomorrow the first thing he asked was, if you were going."

"I'm sorry Paxton, if I did something to encourage his interest it was completely by accident." I say, feeling horrible, I don't want to come between them.

"Its nothing you did." He reassuress me, undressing. Hopefully, tomorrow at lunch they will resolve this. He could just want to be friends....I slip my dress off and my under garments follow. I walk under the spray of the shower letting the spray work on relaxing my body.

Paxton rubs soap into my back and arms tossing my hair over my shoulder he rubs my neck. I'm relaxed and tired by the time we climb into bed, I fall asleep with Paxton wrapped around me.

*******************
Paxton's POV

    I can't sleep. All I keep thinking about is Bryan's hopeful voice when he asked if Adelaide was coming to lunch too. I love Bryan like a true brother but I'm fucking pissed at him. He should back off knowing that she's mine, but I honestly don't think he cares. I'm not the only one that noticed his staring, my father kept giving me questioning looks. I took my anger and disappointment in Bryan out on Adelaide which wasn't fair. She was uncomfortable with his attention, that much was clear. I'll make it to her, she did nothing wrong. She was her usual polite self, answering his questions and laughing at his jokes.

    Bryan doesn't date much, he doesn't trust easily. His last girlfriend was five years ago. Then he found out she cheated on him with his friend from school he was devastated. Since, then he hasn't given much thought to dating. Now, he's interested in my girl. I can't help but think this isn't going to end well. Maybe I can find him someone and we can all go out together. I don't even know what to say to him tomorrow. I do know I need to confront him before he does something stupid. I don't know what I'd do if he ever touch Adelaide. I tighten my arms around her and she snuggles into my body.

    In the morning I wake up and Adelaide is still sleeping so I creep out of bed and get ready for work. When I'm ready to leave I walk to the bed and kiss her cheek. I watch her for a minute, she really is so beautiful. As I drive to work, I can't help the feeling this is going to be a very long day. I think I'll leave early and get home to Adelaide. I need to make some wedding appointments for the cake, her dress, caterer and flowers. We have to choose them this week. I know I'll still be paying double for everything to happen in such short notice. Not that I care. All I care about is that Miss Pickett becomes Mrs. West.