Chapter 2- First Impressions and Aggressions

Number 269, please tell us your name, age, height, and weight out loud", said a woman with a very short nose. It was like her nose never grew out of its baby size. I stepped forward and stopped in b+. " My name is Daniela Santiago and I am 15 years old. I am 169 centimeters and weigh 48 kilograms. I am from Brazil". The lady glared at me and moved on to the next number. Saying how much you weight out loud is really intimidating and embarrassing for some girls. It's a test to see if they still want to audition after being told to tell your weight. This girl, Alina Moss, was really embarrassed when she was called up. When she said how much she weighed, the mistress said, " Heavens! I wonder how you passed the pas de deux section?". She just walked out the door and left. I really felt bad for her! She wasn't chubby at all. I would have left too if they would only be critiquing my body, not my technique. She must have felt extremely disappointed to be laughed at that way.
    The mistress gave us a spot at the barre according to our numbers. There were two rooms to fit the 270 of us. I had to stay in room two. Our group walked across the clean, white, picture framed Room 1. Now, our room was also clean and white, but it didn't have that many windows. I felt stuck in that room. My barre spot was one of the bests. Since I was in the end, I had more space to do everything. I set my waterbottle on the clean marley floor and looked at my number once more. Then the plies started. I really had to focus and look in the mirror, not at the judges. The mistress was tapping some people's heads during the exercises. I don't know if that is good or not, all I know is that she tapped my head. After that happened, I didn't know what to do. Should I ask her about it? Should I leave? Should I smile? I could see if the girls that were tapped are good... Some are, but some are not that much. Now I was really worried.
    During center, Alina Moss stormed back into the door and joined us. To me, that was rude, but the mistress did not even look at her. Until she tapped her on the head. Seriously?! Alina Moss was a weird person. She was wearing a blue leotard, a daisy on her round bun, when we they were to be flat, and white ballet shoes with ribbons. She was wearing dark lipstick and eyeliner. Alina honey, don't try that hard to stand out! She was looking like a clown in the middle of a funeral. Not good.
    The thing about Alina Moss was that she had the most gorgeous smile and the sweetest compliments. She could have easily been the mistress's pet, except she's not because of her personality. I really want to be her roomate if she passes. I think every girl is secretly wishing to be like her or to be her roomate, especially the ballet robots. She looks like she can be a pain in the ass, but she looks like she's just this amazing girl. Alina looks like a storyteller, a troublemaker, a best friend, a live imagination, a principal dancer. If that's just my first impression of Alina Moss, then I have a lot to learn.
Before we left, the mistress gave us instructions, " Ladies! If you were tapped in the head", she said as I observed her Russian accent, " stay in the room to have a talk with me. If you were not tapped, you may leave." It was a good thing! A short girl, who does dance well, didn't even think twice and jumped on top of me! Thank the Lord I workout and was able to push her off me. " Why you not me??? Itsnotfairrrrr!!!", she kept on screaming. I yelled back " You don't even know if it's a good thing or not!! How is getting on TOP of me gonna get you tapped on the head?!". Alina jumpedand grabbed the shortie and put her away. The mistress looked horrified and was gasping for air. We all realized she had asthma. she was saying while she was pausing to breathe, " Get... her.... away... from ... here...! It... is... you... last... warning...!". The girl stomped out of the room with a finger sticking out right at my face. I hugged and thanked Alina for what she did. We stayed together, scared to life of what mistress was gonna say.