Chapter 9

Kaya woke up to Logan shaking her shoulder. She let out a grumble, praying that it wasn’t too early in the morning, for Logan’s sake. Kaya was far from a morning person. She slowly sat up, letting out a yawn as she stretched, but it would take some time before she fully woke up.

“What’s going on?” she mumbled as she finally managed to get out of bed, still wearing the clothes from yesterday.

“The Jet is on the way.” Logan answered, looking about as horrible as Kaya felt. Did he even get any sleep last night? “So you had best be ready, it won’t be long now.” He disappeared to the bathroom, leaving her to her thoughts. A knot formed in Kaya’s stomach, nervousness taking the best of her. She didn’t even know who these people were…what if they didn’t like her?

Now, Kaya knew that was a silly thought and that it didn’t really matter if they liked her or not. They were only here to keep her out of Magneto’s reach, though she still had no idea who the mutant was.  Logan made him sound big and terrifying, and that he had been on the news quite a lot, but Kaya never really watched the news. Well, her mother didn’t and so she never did. Something about trying to protect her from the outside world, from the “monsters”. She mentally rolled her eyes. Her mother rarely gave a crap about her, except when it came to Mutants. For some reason, out of her own comprehension, mutants hurting Kaya was worse than anything else.

A loud noise, sounding like a freight train, erupted over-head, and Kaya assumed it was the Jet. Logan appeared from the bathroom, looking no better than what he had looked going in, and walked over to the window, peering through the blinds. Kaya grabbed her backpack, flinging it over her shoulder as she went and joined him. Sure enough, a giant, blue, jet had landed in parking lot.

“C’mon.” Logan ordered, opening the door and leading the way. Kaya took in a deep breath, doing her best to calm her nerves. Here goes nothing. She thought to herself as she followed closely behind him. A woman emerged from the get, her long, white, hair blowing in the wind. She looked harmless enough, or so Kaya thought.

“Hello, you must be Kaya.” The woman greeted, a smile on her face. “I’m Storm. You’re safe now.” All Kaya could do was nod, trying to take the whole scene in. She still couldn’t wrap her mind around the fact that she even needed protection. All she really wanted was to rewind the clock and go back to her, somewhat peaceful, life. But that wasn’t really an option anymore.

She followed Logan and Storm onto the jet, where she found another woman, this one with short, auburn, hair. She was sitting in one of the pilot seats; wearing a black spandex suit like the one Storm was wearing. 

“Kaya, this is Jean Grey.” Storm introduced them, occupying the other pilot seat.

“Hi.” She greeted shyly, taking her own seat behind them. Logan sat on the other side of the jet, away from her, and she couldn’t help but wonder if she had done something wrong. He had seemed distant since this morning, but she pushed that to the back of her mind. Perhaps it was nothing, and why should she care anyway? It wasn’t like they were real friends or anything.

“Hello Kaya.” Jean Grey responded, also smiling, before she directed her attention forward. The Jet took off quickly, and the next step in this journey began. Kaya sat silently, not knowing what, if anything, to say. She supposed she should thank them for helping her…but she didn’t even understand the whole situation yet. What she wanted more than anything were some solid answers. Who was this Magneto? What was the brotherhood? And why did he think her power was so important that he wanted to kidnap her to use it?

“Hey kid, you okay?” Logan asked, startling Kaya. He sounded concerned, and her earlier thoughts about Logan being angry with her flew out the window. “You look like hell.”

“I don’t know.” She whispered, letting out a small sigh. What she really wanted to say was “No shit Sherlock.” But she was scared, above anything else, and she wondered if it could show threw, although she was doing her best to hide it. Kaya didn’t want them to think she was some kind of coward. “I did just have my world turned upside down.” She added, a bit bitterer than she intended to. “I just want some answers.”

“Professor Xavier will explain everything when we get back to the school.” Jean Grey exclaimed, sounding genuine. All Kaya could really do right now was trust them, that the Professor would answer her questions.

She hated waiting though.

*          *         *     *

Authors Note: Ahhhhh! I can't believe this story reached 1,000 reads! Thank you! I got the idea for this story from a dream I had, several times actually, and when I started it I had no idea it would get this kind of feedback. Reall, thank y'all soooo much <3