Chapter 14

Logan hoped that Kaya was okay. She had locked herself in her room and had yet to come out. The professor said not to push anything, and so he had given her the space she needed. He couldn’t help but feel bad, this was his fault after all. At least, he felt that it was. He should have known better than to ask her that, it wasn’t any of his business after all. He just wanted to make sure she was okay though, was that so bad?

Logan let out a sigh as he leaned against a tree, smoking another cigar, his arms crossed. She would open up once she got to trust him more, at least he hoped so. He hoped she would see that he was a friend, someone she could confide in, and not an enemy. Logan couldn’t help her unless he knew what he was up against.

He tossed the cigar on the ground, putting it out with his boot. That’s when he looked up and saw a familiar face walking towards him. Logan smiled, but did not move, not wanting to scare her off.

“Hey.” Kaya greeted awkwardly.

“Hey.” Logan replied. “Sorry about this morning.” He added, hoping that wouldn’t upset her again. The breeze blew her hair in her face, and he watched as she struggled to fix it.

She waved him off. “It was my fault, I overreacted.”  Kaya smirked, looking down at her hands, picking at hangnails nervously.

“You okay?” he asked warily, watching her reaction.

Kaya paused, as though she was thinking about her answer. She sighed, shaking her head. “No, I’m not.”

“You want to talk about it?” he stood up straighter, not knowing if they should sit down somewhere or not.

“I don’t know.” Kaya looked up at him, and he could tell she was on the verge of breaking down in tears. A crying girl was not something Logan thought he could handle, but he guessed he had to learn at some point. “I don’t know if I’m strong enough.” She looked away. “I’ve never talked about it before, to anyone.”

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” He took a seat on a nearby bench, watching as she moved to join him.

“I want to talk to someone about it.” Kaya whispered, looking back up at him. “I just don’t know what will happen once I do.”

Logan gently put a hand on her shoulder. “You’ll be free of the weight you’ve been carrying for all this time.” He wish he could say the same, but even talking about his weight seemed to do nothing but cause him more pain, more anguish and frustration. There was no one who really understood what he was going through, and probably never would be. He had claws made of Animantium, and he didn’t even remember how he got them, or if he had them to begin with.

Kaya sighed. “Freedom does have a nice ring to it.” She tried to laugh. “Promise me you won’t tell anyone else though? I don’t….” she took in a deep breath. “I don’t want anyone thinking of me as some freak.”

“I promise.” He smiled softly. “Not a soul.”

“Then I guess I should start at the beginning.” She bit her lip.