Chapter 19

Kaya was a bit shocked when she saw Logan in the Professor’s office and by the looks of it-he wasn’t too happy. Perhaps this was a bad idea and she should leave, it wasn’t like the Professor was going anywhere anytime soon. However, Logan left and she found herself alone with Xavier. All the questions she wanted to ask him suddenly seemed to fly out the window.  Her heart felt as though it was going to jump out of her chest, it had been a while since it had been just him and her talking, and she was nervous. What if she said something wrong? What if he was angry at her and didn’t want to answer her questions? What if she left with more questions than she already had?

“You seem to have a lot on your mind.” The Professor stated, snapping Kaya out of her thoughts. She cleared her throat, straightening up some.  “It has been some time since we’ve seen each other. I hope everything has been well.”

That was it; he had to know what had happened. Why hadn’t he said anything then? And why was she so worried if he did know or not? Kaya took a deep breath in, doing her best to calm herself. “It’s been going.” She replied. Not technically a lie, but not the truth either. If the Professor knew, she wanted him to say so, instead of her admitting it out loud, she already had to do that with Logan, which had been hard enough.  “Same old, same old.” She looked away, refusing to meet the Professor’s gaze.

He smiled softly, as if knowing Kaya’s discomfort. “It must have been hard.” She could hear the Professor’s wheelchair move, looking up and seeing him back at his desk. To what he was referring to, she wasn’t quite sure. He could have been talking about how it was hard to move back in with her mother, who became abusive, or that what had happened to her was hard. For Kaya, that’s all her life had been: hard. She soon gave up any hope that it would get better.

Kaya nodded, unsure how else to respond. She was afraid that if she tried to speak, she would only burst into tears. Not only would that be embarrassing, to her it would be a sign of weakness, and that was the last thing she wanted anyone-especially the professor-to think about her.  If she wanted to get out of here, she had to make them believe she was strong. Though, that brought about the question of where she would go after she left here, since there was no way she could return home, not after what had happened. Not only would her mother question what had happened, she would be suspicious of Kaya. In her mother’s mind, only mutants (or incredibly unintelligent people) associated with mutants.

“Now, what is it you need to talk about?” he asked, as though he didn’t already know, which Kaya guess he did. He could read minds after all, and the whole ‘I won’t read your mind without your permission’ was probably just a load of crap.

She sighed. “I just was hoping you had some answers.” She sat down in a chair across from him, looking almost defeated, knowing he probably didn’t.

“I’m afraid not yet.” He replied, looking apologetic. She knew that the Professor cared deeply for his students (though Kaya hadn’t thought of herself as his student in quite some time.) and only wanted to help them, feeling just as bad when he couldn’t.  “We will find him though Kaya, as soon as he takes the helmet off.”

“And what if he never does?” she snapped, not knowing where the sudden burst of anger came from, but going with it. “What then? I’ll stay here forever?” she shook her head, tears threatening to pour out. “Even you know that won’t end well. Either I’ll leave or Magneto will find me, it’s not like he doesn’t know where I’m hiding.”

Silence passed as Kaya’s words hung in the air. It was the truth, it was only so long before Magneto found her, or she became fed up and left. Though Magneto finding her would probably happen before that, seeing how she had nowhere else to go at the moment. It was frustrating though, as long as she stayed here she was putting other people in danger.

“There are people here who can protect you Kaya.” Xavier exclaimed. “If Magneto finds you, he won’t be able to get you.”

Kaya looked him in the eyes. “Can you promise that?”

They both know he couldn’t.

*   *   *   *  *

Kaya left Xavier’s office, her fear of leaving with more questions coming true.  That should have been a given though, knowing that some questions couldn’t be answered, and others were best left alone. She supposed some answers she would just have to discover herself, and maybe that’s what the Professor wanted as well. Sometimes the Professor thought too much of his students.

She spent the rest of the day in the courtyard, reading her book and watching the other kids play basketball in between chapters. They had invited her to play, but she kindly declined-never have been any good at sports.  It was a nice day out, warm and sunny, with no clouds in the sky. It had been a while since she had been able to truly enjoy a day as nice as this one. Usually she was out running errands for her mother, trying to study for an exam, or running away. She was tired of running, but wasn’t that what she was doing now? Running from Magneto which, granted, was a different thing, but it was still running nonetheless.

Maybe she was just a coward, never facing her problems, just running from them. Is that how others saw her as well? She had the power to shape-shift and fight back, and yet here she was, afraid of the pain it caused her, as well as what other people would think. Kaya knew she should care what others thought of her, especially being surrounded by other mutants, but it was hard not to. Growing up in a household that was so anti-mutant, being told that they were scum, it made her think that’s what others thought of her when they found out what she was.

It was unfair, but it was the life Kaya grew up in. She found out real quickly life was anything but fair. It was harsh; it pushed you down on the ground and beat you until there was nothing left. No one else would help you up, that was your own job, and most of the time it took a lot of will power. The people who made it to the top, they did that on their own blood, sweat, and tears. Most people would think Kaya wasn’t being fair now, that there were people that helped others, that even now she had people helping her. But they were helping her because they had to, not wanting Magneto to destroy human kind, not because they wanted to. At least, in her eyes that was how it was.

Nobody had ever been there for her before. Why would they be there for her now?