Chapter 27

“Don’t do anything stupid.” Mystique warned for what seemed like the hundredth time. They had reached Washington D.C. in a matter of hours (no thanks to the driver’s, who she’d come to learn was called Pyro, insane driving.) and had set up in another mutants apartment near the White House. This mutant’s name was Destiny, and she seemed to be close friends with Mystique, by the way they behaved toward each other-like old friends.

            Once at the apartment, Magneto ordered Kaya to change into the form of a German shepherd. She had obeyed, reluctantly, thinking of what might happen to her if she didn’t. Not only what would happen to her though, but Logan as well. If it was just her, Kaya would like to think that she would be brave enough to resist Magneto, even if that meant her own death. But it wasn’t just her he was threatening, it was Logan, and even though he could heal, she didn’t know what stripping his Animantium from his bones would do to him.

            It was almost five o’clock, and Kaya guessed it was almost time, seeing how restless everyone was. Mystique had put a collar and leash on her, which she detested. It made her feel trapped, and she could understand why dogs weren’t that fond of them either. Unfortunately, however, she didn’t have a choice. This was all part of Magneto’s plan. What she couldn’t understand, however, why he was too keen of using her, even though she didn’t want to do it. If he wanted to help mutants so much, why was he hurting her?

            “Everyone in the car, it’s time to go.” Magneto announced, leading everyone out. Mystique tugged on the leash, forcing Kaya to follow. They piled back into the SUV’s, and left the apartment behind them. For once during this whole ordeal, Kaya had begun to lose hope that Logan, or anyone, would come to her rescue.

*                      *                       *                       *

            The car ride seemed like it lasted forever, when in reality it only lasted a good ten or fifteen minutes. Kaya watched out the windows, passing monuments she had only ever seen in pictures, thinking now she would never really begin to see them in person. She couldn’t imagine they would let her go, even if she did what they asked. Kaya had never before thought that she would be agreeing with her mother, mutants could be monsters.

            They parked a good block away from the White House, Mystique then leading Kaya out of the car. Magneto stayed in the car, and she wondered if his powers would still work, even as far away as she would be from him, but would rather not test that theory. That wasn’t stopping her, however, from thinking of ways to escape, even if the reasons weren’t entirely plausible. She soon stopped though, the thoughts only making her feel more worthless than she was already feeling.

            Mystique led her down the sidewalk, holding the leash so tightly, Kaya was afraid she was going to choke. Her heart was beating so quickly in her chest, she wondered if she could suffer from a heart attack, even at her age. She didn’t dare look at Mystique; instead she kept her eyes on the ground, desperately wishing that this was some terrible nightmare that she would wake up from at any moment, even though she knew that was just a lie. At one point, Kaya thought about just sitting down, refusing to go any further, but then her mind reminded her of Magneto’s threat, and she was forced to continue.

            Could she be charged with murder, even if she had to do it against her will? She began to wonder as they neared the White House. Or would they not care, seeing how she was a mutant? Maybe they would just kill her on the spot, and part of her wished that. She knew she would never be able to live with herself if she went through with this, that death would be a blessing. After all, would anyone accept her after she killed the President? Oh god, would Logan? Kaya didn’t even want to imagine Logan looking at her with disgust; instead of the loving look he had given her back at the park. If Logan hated her after this, she would cut out her own heart.

            “You better be on your best behavior.” Mystique, who was cleverly disguised as a federal agent, warned under her breath as they came to the gates of the White House. Kaya couldn’t help but try to look around, to see if Logan or anyone was there to help her, but Mystique tugged hard on the least, causing her to look forward.

            The guard at the gate looked weary at first, but Mystique was good at her job. All she had to do was flash her badge, and charm the guard with words, and they were in. Kaya had always wanted to visit the White House when she was younger; though never in all her years did she imagine she would be visiting it like this. There was still no sign of Logan or the others, but by now Kaya had given up hope of seeing them at all.

            The White House was spectacular on the inside, just as she had always imagined it. However, she didn’t have time to look around and gawk, as Mystique was leading the way down hallways to where the President would be. Kaya didn’t really understand how killing the President of the United States was going to make anything easier for the mutants, in fact it would do quite the opposite, but something told her that Magneto was going for the shock value, more or less. They turned around another corner before Mystique stopped dead in her tracks.

            Logan, along with Storm and Cyclops, stood before the Oval office, blocking their path.

            Kaya wanted to run into Logan’s arms, but she was held back by the leash. For once, she did what she supposed she should have done a while back, and snapped at Mystique’s heels. That, however, only made Mystique tug back on the leash, sending Kaya back. She began coughing, trying to catch her breath.

            “Logan, what a surprise.” Mystique said, still disguised. “You came to watch after all.

Kaya really couldn’t see what was going on from where she was laying on the floor, she tried to sit up, but Mystique just tugged her back down. She wished she could change back into a human, and get this stupid collar off, but she would have no clothes and be vulnerable. If she was going to stand a chance, she was best off as she was. She would just have to hope Logan or someone would come and take the collar off.

            “Let her go.” Logan said, his teeth clenched. Just hearing his voice made Kaya feel a bit better, although they weren’t out of the woods yet.

Mystique laughed. “No can do.” She replied. “You see Kaya and I already have plans.”

Logan, get me out of here! Kaya yelled through her mind link, hoping Logan could hear.

            “It seems she doesn’t want to be here.” Logan replied, and Kaya was relieved to know he could hear her.

            It would be nice if someone could, oh I don’t know, take this damn collar off me? She grumbled, a bit irked that nothing had really happened yet.

            Kaya spoke too soon as Mystique took the leash, pulling on it so tightly that it cut off her air supply, causing her to start gasping for air. “I wouldn’t get too close, you don’t want to make poor Kaya here suffer?” Mystique threatened. Kaya could already feel herself getting lightheaded as she continued gasping for breath.

            However, Mystique’s threat was short lived as Cyclops used his power to cut the leash, sending Kaya back to the floor, where she started coughing. She was glad that she was able to breathe again, however. Why didn’t you do that in the first place? She asked, rolling her eyes and standing back up.

            “Sorry.” Cyclops responded, though now he was focus on Mystique. Kaya didn’t really care as she ran to Logan, who bent down, sweeping her furry body into his arms.

            “I’m sorry.” Logan whispered in her ear. “I should have been there to protect you.”

            “Oh boo hoo.” Mystique said, reminding the both of them (who’d been foolishly too caught up in the moment ) that she was still here. “We’re not done with this.”

            “You’re right.” A voice said, startling all of them. That’s when Kaya realized she could no longer move.

Magneto had come inside.

Ah, crap. Kaya thought, her fears creeping back in to her mind. What was going to happen now?