Chapter 22

The kiss had not been planned, but then again where they ever? Was love planned, or was it something one simply fell in to? Logan supposed that was why people called it falling in love, which was what had happened to him. He had fallen in love with Kaya, not meaning to but it had happened nonetheless. The way she smiled, talked...everything about her drove him insane. Logan knew though that it could never be, not really. He did care for her, and that there was where the issue lay. The people he cared about always seemed to get hurt around him, which was why he knew he should keep Kaya at a distance. If she ever got hurt, he didn't know what he would do with himself.

He was leaning against the brick wall of the bathrooms, waiting for Kaya to come out. Logan was a bit nervous about how the trip home would be, the awkwardness of it, if any. She had kissed him back though, but that was beside the point. How could he pretend that the kiss had never happened, knowing that would hurt her? Logan sighed, putting the thought to the back of his mind. He knew he couldn't protect her if his mind was elsewhere.

Speaking of which, he realized she has been in the bathroom for a while now. Growing concerned, he stepped into the bathroom, ignoring the looks the other women shot him.
"Kaya?" he called out, looking through the open stalls and knocking on the closed ones. "Kaya, are you alright?" No response. That's when he noticed it, the open window to the bathroom with a small smear of blood. His heart began to race as he ran out of the bathroom, now shouting out her name.

Logan knew he had to call the professor, and he could already hear him saying "I told you so." Right now, however, he knew he couldn’t be worried about that, not when Kaya was missing. Magneto had somehow managed to grab her, right from underneath him. If he couldn’t protect her now, what made him think he could protect her in the future?

Xavier answered the phone on the first dial. “Logan, what’s happened?”

“They took her.” He had to force the words out, as though he was afraid to admit that Kaya was gone. “Magneto has her.” Logan leaned against a tree, trying to get his breathing under control. His eyes were still scanning the park, trying to look for her, but something inside of him said that she was already long gone.

“Magneto must have had someone following you all day.” The professor sighed, and Logan could tell that he was disappointed. “I told you this would happen.”

“Yeah, well let’s just skip the ‘I told you so’s’ and focus on finding Kaya.” He snapped back, not in the mood for any of the professor’s lectures.

Silence passed between them before Xavier replied. “Cerebro is out of the question, for I have no doubt that Magneto is using his helmet.”

Logan let out an aggravated sigh. He was sick of hearing what couldn’t be done, feeling it was more important to focus on what they could do. “Then I guess we’ll have to do it the old fashioned way and look.”

“I wish it was as simple as you’re making it out to be Logan.” Xavier replied dryly.  “We have no concept of where Kaya could be at the moment, and do anything too rash could cause her harm. Come back to the mansion and we’ll think things through.”

Logan wanted to punch a hole through a wall as the anger rose in him. “I’m of more use here.” He replied, his teeth clenched tightly.

“How? She’s not there anymore Logan.” The Professor pointed out, the truth hitting Logan like a slap in the face. “There’s nothing more you can do. Not there.”

He walked away from the tree and back to the car, fully intent on ignoring the Professor’s request. Logan was determined to find Kaya, even if that meant searching the whole city by himself. “I can look, which is more than anyone at the mansion is doing.” He spat, hanging up the phone and tossing it on the passenger seat before Xavier could reply.

Speeding off, he circled around the park, keeping an eye out, but his eyes confirmed what he had feared: Kaya wasn’t there. Was she even in the city anymore? Logan sped through the streets, getting out every now and then going into stores to look, as well as question if anyone had seen her.

He still came up empty handed.

Banging his hands on the wheel, he knew he had no other choice but to go back to the mansion. Kaya wasn’t in the city anymore, and he supposed the only hope they had right now was Magneto taking off his helmet, which was probably not going to happen. Logan didn’t understand it though, why her? Why did Magneto need an animal shape-shifter? Surely there were other animal shape-shifter’s out there, why was he so intent on getting Kaya herself?

These questions and more flowed through his head as he drove back to the school, no answers coming to mind. Magneto must have a reason, but what that reason could be was beyond his comprehension.  Worry was held up inside of him, holding him hostage as he wondered what was happening to Kaya right now. They wanted her alive, so at least they wouldn’t kill her, he hoped. She could heal, however, so would that stop them from torturing her? He shivered at the thought of it.

He just wanted to get her back, no matter what.