You Must Like it Here

Author's Note: I promise there's a plot line to this story! Just keep reading! Only two more chapters after this one.

Chapter 4 ~ You Must Like it Here

River's POV

"Hello, Mrs. Song. It's nice to see you again." Mr. Jacobs greeted me as I sat down on the couch. I definitely didn't feel the same way he did, although I wasn't going to express my harsh opinion. Psychopaths aren't rude. Instead, I simply nodded. That seemed good enough for the time being.

He went through some similar questions, to which I gave decrypted answers. I still refused to let my guard down; it was something that would never completely happen. I decided, however, to let it down a little. Otherwise we would never get anywhere and I would have to endure the Doctor's scolding. I could already hear him now. 'River, you have to let him help you!'

I shook my head. He better not expect much, though. Yet the more I thought about this whole ordeal, the luckier I found myself to be. At least I wasn't placed in a support group where I would've had to share my problems with similar people. That would've been a nightmare. Those thoughts kept me sane while Mr. Jacobs scribbled on his clipboard.

"Do you believe negative thoughts about your childhood persuade how you live?" He asked in a pensive mood. I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes and answered the question sassily. "Yes, sometimes, but quite honestly, I think that happens to everyone." The more time passed, the more I thought about all the things I could've been doing if I wasn't on that stupid comfy couch.

"Yes, most people do tend to let negative things affect them the majority of the time." Mr. Jacobs agreed with my snappy response, a tactic I'd read up on. Then he asked if I had any future goals. "I'm working towards a degree in archaeology." I informed him, my lips pursed tightly. "And where are you taking these studies?" He asked specifically. "Luna University." My voice came between gritted teeth.

Tension was growing faster than Mr. Jacobs could ask questions, although he was making an effort to pick up the pace. "Next, I'd like to investigate your worst fears." He spoke intensely, like he really cared. As if. Instead of sighing, however, I began to speak.

"I don't have multiple fears, just a couple. The thing I dread the most is my husband not recognizing me at all." I paused and addressed the psychologist's confused look. "He's got a touch of early Alzheimer's." I explained, hoping this to be a plausible explanation, before continuing. "The other fear I have is watching him die, particularly alone. I'll do anything for him, even if it means my death." I finished vulnerably, with my head directed towards the floor in deep thought.

I looked up just in time to discover Mr. Jacobs staring at me with a mesmerizing gaze. I raised an eyebrow. He seemed to become aware of what he was doing, and cleared his throat. "Next question," was all he mumbled in explanation. I shrugged. Maybe he couldn't resist beautiful women.

The rest of my visit went by in a seemingly slow pattern. Needless to say, I was excited to leave. Mr. Jacobs bade me goodbye and I walked out of the door hoping I didn't have too many more appointments to endure.

"How was it?" The Doctor asked as I walked through the TARDIS doors with a huff. I tried to be positive, although the only good response I could give was a slightly murderous stare. The Doctor obviously didn't understand. "So you won't mind going back soon?" He mused aloud. I rolled my eyes, then noticed a familiar device on his wrist.

"Sweetie, have you been using my vortex manipulator while I've been gone?" I inquired with a pointed gaze. The Doctor flinched for a moment, as if he'd been caught. "Yes, dear, I hope you don't mind. It's rather boring without you here."

I smiled genuinely. My perfect smile, however, was far from the truth. I would never let the Doctor know, but I felt a deep sadness within. I could hardly blame him for having fun in these moments of quiet, and so I tried not to take it too personally. To the Doctor, a couple of hours feels like a couple of years. Besides, what else was he supposed to do while I was away talking to a stranger?

"Well, I hope you had fun while I was gone." I said in a somewhat positive attitude. The Doctor nodded, then it was his turn to smile. We hugged briefly and shared a quick kiss before heading in opposite directions. My stomach was angry with me for skipping breakfast, which I was about to make up for with a large lunch. Just some food for thought.