Trust Me

Chapter 7 ~ Trust Me

So, here we are. The last chapter. I'm ready to move on to bigger and better stories, so I think it's time to wrap this one up. I don't really do requests, but if you have an idea that you would like me to write, I'd be more than happy to try! I know I get that feeling sometimes where I get an idea and say, "Wow, I wish so and so would write about that!" Anyway, a shout out to Hermione Jean Granger, who's birthday was a couple of days ago, September 19th. I slipped in a little something extra in this chapter for all you Potterheads that I hope you will like. :) Thanks for reading my stories, and I hope you all have a fantastic day full of magic and mischief! P.S. This chapter is deducted to my mom because she helped me with my writer's block. Love you, Momma!

The Doctor's POV

The lights were dim, but bright enough to decipher words on paper. An assortment of chairs and tables littered the room, along with many books and laptops. It was easy to see how River often got lost in there; the TARDIS library was a comfortable place. It was also a great location to spy on River.

I hid sneakily behind a nearby bookshelf. The lamp light complimented her nicely tanned skin, and its shadows kept me safe from River's line of vision. As I spied on the woman I loved and appreciated so very much, I thought back to the night before.

It wasn't hard to notice how easily River slept after her visits with Dr. Jacobs (aka me). The night was quiet with no interruptions of plaguing nightmares or flashbacks from River's terrible past. She slept soundly and didn't toss or turn nearly as much. There were so many positive consequences that I almost lost count.

I was also very proud of River. She hardly ever did anything she didn't want to do, especially something of this ranking. River, I believe, flirts and laughs to cover up her true, more vulnerable feelings. She doesn't trust strangers easily, and there's many things she won't even tell me. In her mind, a very magnificent reason must be required for River to let go of her most sacred thoughts and emotions. Why did I think the 'Mr.Jacobs act' would work?

As quietly as possible, I shuffled from my hiding spot near the bookshelf. In a most cumbersome manner, I held my breath as I kneeled steadily behind River. My balancing skills were far from perfect, and I could tell I was going to topple over and blow my cover pretty soon. Somehow, River was so intensely focused, so enthralled in her book that she failed to notice the shadow I had created over her. I had to do something before she had the chance to notice it. With that, I whispered in her ear, "I thought you had better taste in books."

River turned around so sharply that I was forced to dodge yet another one of her smacks. Her eyes squinted at me as she said, "Psychology is a fascinating subject, I don't know why you object to it." I chuckled. "You sound a bit like Hermione." I replied lightheartedly. River smiled radiantly and gave me her best impression of the beloved book character. "Because that's what Hermione does. When in doubt, go to the library."

I laughed, then changed the mood of the conversation completely. I loved joking around and having fun with River, but I felt that we needed to talk about everything that had happened recently. Funny, since I'm not great at expressing feelings myself.

"What did you learn from Mr. Jacobs?" I asked River, who stared at me suspiciously. "I just want to know how you're doing after all that." I explained with a sigh. She nodded and answered quicker than I thought she would.

"I've been thinking out loud recently, too, and I've decided this: it's one big learning situation, one large lesson, whatever you want to call it. Dealing with my past is a good thing after all, even though I absolutely hated it at the time." River admitted with a half smile. I wrapped her up in my long, skinny arms and held her close. Her assurance of learning something from the situation helped me feel more calm about her well being. I couldn't say it enough, but all I wanted was for River to be happy and to know that she can trust me, if no one else.

I loosened my gentle grip on her, and found her beaming up at me. "What?" I wanted to know. Curiosity grew within me; there was something suspicious about River's radiant smile. "Oh, nothing," she said as she tried to wave away my concerns. She paused, then continued. "I just wanted to remind you of our little agreement." She explained slyly.

I frowned in confusion. What was she talking about?, I wondered. My mind drew a blank as I tried to think back to any sort of agreement I had made with River. Just when I thought she had to be making it up, I remembered. My eyes grew wide, and I was a bit nervous to what was about to happen next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I emerged from the TARDIS wardrobe in a state of disbelief. Was I doing something incredibly silly just because River told me to? 'Of course,' my conscience replied. I didn't even ask for its advice, but okay. 'Only a fool would go against River.' it reminded me with a snicker. I agreed with my conscience wholeheartedly, something I hardly ever did.

I spun in a clumsy circle, then put my hands on my hips. "How do I look?" I asked River, who failed at trying not to laugh. Her intake of breath was limited, due to the serious amount of laughing she was doing. River soon became so hysterical her laugh greatly resembled that of a hyena; it wasn't long before tears rolled from her delicate eyelids. What could I possibly be wearing that would make River laugh so hard?, you ask.

A periwinkle blue baby bonnet sat upon my large tuft of hair. No shirt covered my pale chest, although a bib hung from my neck. I wore a crisp, white diaper on the bottom half of my body. As if to complete the set, a pacifier hung on a strap from my bib.

River continued to laugh, and I tried to look upset at her for what she was forcing me to wear. Unfortunately, I couldn't be mad at River at all. Her smile was what carried me through the hard times in life, and her laugh brought new meaning to the word 'happiness'. I loved being around River when she was like this, so I swallowed my pride. Instead of giving her attitude, I complained.

"Do I really have to wear this?" I whined obnoxiously. 'If I'm going to look like a baby, I might as well act like one.' I thought to myself. River smirked, then reminded me, "You did agree to let me plan our next adventure and what you would wear."

I sighed loudly and took a seat as River piloted the TARDIS. We were off on yet another adventure, and I couldn't wait to make memories with the one woman I love so much. As if to help me remember why I love her, River laughed as she took another glance at my attire. This time, I laughed along with her. Life was too short to waste a moment, even for Timelords.