02. Busan Boy

02. BUSAN BOY

One year later...

J O Y

With a few deep breaths taken in, I rummage around in my bag, trying to find the keys to my apartment door. Lipstick, mobile phone, perfume, bubble gums and all the other unnecessary things found inside my bag, but no sight of the apartment keys.

You'd think that a girl only needed a few things to take with while going to work, or on a date, or just outside her own home, but no. A girl needed her whole damn house inside the bag, 'cause without it all, a girl wouldn't feel like a girl. No matter how good she might look, or how comfortable she was in her own skin, a girl always has her own insecurities. However, by taking all these little things with herself, a girl finally has a higher self esteem and is able smile until the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, I was that kind of girl. Too much makeup inside my bag was exactly my thing.

After a few minutes of cursing, I finally found the keys and had unlocked the apartment door. But the second I did that, my phone started ringing. I sigh to myself, cursing at the fact that my bag now looked like a complete mess inside. I needed, not only five, but ten minutes to find the door keys. How in the world am I going to find my phone now?

After opening the door, I quickly close it and give myself the mission of finding the phone inside the mess of a bag. A few seconds have passed by and I have slowly started to lose all the patience I had in me. The ringing didn't stop, and neither did I. Once I saw the little bastard, I quickly grab it with a winner smile plastered against my face. Thank godness for the bright coloured phone cases.

Slightly hoping that the phone would stop ringing and let me breathe for a second, I throw a look at the bright screen in front of my eyes. Who even calls a sane person at 2 am? As the ringing kept going, I see the caller ID and answer it with my eyebrows raised. ''Eric? Do you realize how perfect your timing actually is? I literally just got back from-''

''I need you to get here right now.'' He interrupts, sounding somewhat stressed.

''What? Why?'' It was already confusing that he called me after such a long time, and right now he was asking me to come over which makes everything so much more confusing. ''Is everything okay? And where is here exactly?''

This time, the only answer I got was the loud music coming from the other side. ''And why does it sound like you're at the club? What's going on?''

''He snapped'', was all Eric had said.

It was all he needed to say for me to fully understand what was going on and who he was talking about. Clearly, I could see what state he was in at that very moment. I've tried to stay away from him fro so long, but it seems that the hiding makes no sense anymore. I'd begged Eric and the others not to mention my name or the fact that I was keeping my distance away from him. They'd always listen to me and accept the request of mine, but it was just a matter of time when things would stab me right in the back again.

''How?'' I ask.

''I was talking to Vince the other night'', Eric starts. ''We somehow mentioned your name and he asked how you were doing... I told him that you've been doing good and that you're back in town.''

''Yeah?''

''We kept talking until I realized it was too late. He's been standing behind us the entire time.''

''Oh, dear god.'' I say, rubbing my temples to prevent the sudden headache. Normally, I was usually thankful that nor Eric or the other boys would mention my name around him. Normally, I would feel okay, knowing that he's doing okay. Now, the memories are brought back, along with the pain inside my heart at the very thought of him and the state he was currently in.

''You need to get here right now.'' He repeats, and I can vividly see his frustration. ''You're the only one who can snap him out of it.''

I sigh deeply, wanting to say something, wanting to say a simple no. But in reality, I was silent, my voice was gone as an uncomfortable feeling spread across my chest, causing my heart to race rapidly. Did I really want to see him? Did I really need all these memories to haunt me? Did I want to feel the pain all over again?

But before I could mutter a sentence, Eric's whisper interrupts, ''Joy, please,'' he pleaded, sighing deeply. ''The boys and I really need your help.''

I close my eyes, biting down my lower lip and trying to mute my heart telling me to say yes. Without a chance of rethinking about this whole situation, without my brain trying to stop me, my tongue slips through my teeth. ''Alright,'' I say. ''I'm coming.''

Eric sounded relieved once he told me in what part of the town they were in. Sighing heavily, I hung up, gathered all the things I needed and walked out of the door. Once my body rested against the seat of a cab, memories and worries filled my mind. I wasn't ready to see him, I wasn't ready to hear his voice, and I wasn't ready for him to bring back all the memories I tried so hard to get away from.

I wasn't read to see him, at all.