11. Breakfast Eggs

11. BREAKFAST EGGS

A LOUD THUMP woke me up from deep sleep, as I shifted, turning on my left side.

Having my head face the other side of the room, I uncomfortably tried to stand up from the couch I fell asleep on. Once allowing my eyes to completely wake up, I glance at the other couch across the room where Parker was supposed to be sleeping.

Emphasis on was.

The loud ticking of the clock filled the entire room, making it almost impossible to concentrate on drifting back to sleep, much less on the fact that Parker wasn't sleeping on the couch anymore.

I rub my temples in order to prevent the upcoming headache while my eyes kept closing every now and then.

Where is he?

When did he leave the house?

Just as I was trying to get my body up, a loud thump echoes, almost hurting my ears.

''Hello?''

Still rubbing my eyes, I now sit up, feet touching the cold wooden floor as my view cleared up a bit.

Another thump.

Almost panicking when nobody answered, I glance around, my voice cracking a little. ''Parker? Is that you?''

No response.

And I stand up, moving towards the sound, careful having all my senses on stand by, my hands ready to attack and slap whatever decides to jump out on me. 

Just as I was about to enter my small kitchen, I can smell something. It was rather unpleasant, a weird smell as my face scrunched as a result of it. 

With each step closer I take, it was getting so bad, almost as if someone had shoved a piece of coal down my lungs.

Not even a second passed when I realize that the weird smell my lungs have been inhaling was the smell of something burning. 

With my eyes widening, I see a small strand of smoke drifting out of the open window as strongly as an incense stick. At first that's what I think it is, until I see the volume of the grey mist squeezing under the slightly opened kitchen door. 

That's when I feel the panic rise up and my mouth goes dry. The kitchen is on fire.  

With all my senses awake, I rush to the kitchen with an arm clasping over my mouth in order to save my lungs from inhaling more of the deadly substance floating the air.

Once adjusting my view to the surroundings, the level of panic inside me immediately drops to zero as I see Parker standing in front of me.

With a hand resting on his hip, and a pan burning on the stove, he lets out a growl, almost loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear it. ''Fucking hell, not this again.''

''What in the world are you doing?''

As a result of my once again cracking voice, his whole body jolts, almost causing him to drop the spatula he held so clumsily in his other hand. ''God dammit Joy, do you want to die?''

''I don't, but it seems like you want to kill the both of us by setting my apartment on fire.'' I say, coming over to him and opening the window, letting the smoke out of the small room.

''I was just making breakfast eggs.'' Parker says as he watches me turn off the stove, almost laughing at the once good looking fried eggs as I take the spatula from his hand, now leaving everything in the sink and dropping the failed attempt of making a breakfast down the trash bin.

''I'll clean it up.'' He says, sounding somewhat sincere as a hand went through his messy morning hair. ''I was trying to make something nice as a small thank you for letting me stay the night.''

I don't even listen to his words when my eyes dart at the kitchen table. I can see two plates set, with two glasses both filled with milk and a fruit basket decorating the table. The bastard really took all of his effort into this.

''I'm sorry.'' He continues. ''I didn't know how you like your eggs cooked.''

''Not burnt that's for sure.'' I mock.

But I don't smile. Not because I didn't appreciate his deed, but rather because he was always doing this.

Whenever we split up, he would try almost everything to somehow redeem himself, but once we got back together, it was as if I never existed; whenever the bridges between the two of us collapsed, he'd always try so hard to build them back again.

And I hated him for doing so. 

I lean against the stove, just noticing how worn out but yet beautiful he looked. With his white and wrinkly oversized T-shirt and a pair of old jeans fitting his legs, his tired eyes look up at me, a small smirk appearing on his plump lips. 

I stay there, frozen in place as if his gaze had put me under a spell. I couldn't move my body, but that didn't stop him from moving his, now getting closer to me; closer than ever before.

The inches between us dropped to a minimum and I was no longer leaning against the stove, but rather being pressed against it, Parker's body pushing mine with such energy I have not yet seen. 

His deep brown eyes stare into my soul, and I feel his hands resting against my hips, the touch sending shivers down my thighs. The feeling of being in his arms again was so exciting, electrifying in a way when every little atom within me started to dance, the infatuation now rushing through my veins.

I knew what was about to happen. The proximity of his breath and my lips were telling the story of us, the ending written in our kiss, but I couldn't let it finish. I couldn't let it get to that ending.

So before his lips met with mine, I turn my head around, the hard felt ache causing me to close my eyes.

There was a moment of silence, before I can feel his husky breath brush against my ear. 

And I watched him as he walked away from me towards the front door, leaving me in silence and empty traces on my skin that his touch once held so dearly.