Bonfire

They'd spent all afternoon strategizing about different ways they might be able to break Jace Herondale's heart. Clary had been distracted for most of it, analyzing Isabelle and wondering if she had really hit the mark.

If Isabelle really liked Jace.

If Jace had really broken Isabelle's heart and this was her way of getting revenge.

And she was still thinking about that, hours later as they rushed to get ready for a bonfire on the beach Alec and Magnus had been invited to after the girls had come inside.

"I can't believe they waited an hour before telling us!" Izzy exclaimed, tossing her hands up into the air. "Magnus knows how long it takes to do our makeup." Currently, Isabelle was doing her eyeliner, and Clary was amazed at the fact that that melodramatic arm maneuver hadn't messed up the winged line Isabelle had been drawing on her eyelid. She was even more amazed that Isabelle had already finished contouring and highlighting her face—Clary was still blending out the darkish colour on the hollows of her cheekbones and the sides of her nose.

"Are you kidding?" Clary demanded, facing the mirror in their shared en suite. It was barely big enough for the two of them to see their reflections simultaneously. "You're almost done! I'm about halfway, maybe."

"Well that's 'cause you did your hair first." Isabelle motioned with one hand to the carefully-done loose curls hanging down Clary's back.

They were silent for a while, and after a coat of matte red lipstick, Isabelle said, "Voila! My masterpiece is complete!" and went into the bedroom to change.

Isabelle remerged in a strappy blue crop top that pushed up her boobs and white jean shorts that made Clary cringe just thinking of all the things that could be spilt on them. "Hey do you think you can help me with my eyeliner?" She asked.

"Yeah. Sit on the counter or something, I don't think I can bend that low."

Clary hopped up onto the counter. "Oh, real nice."

"Aren't I?" Isabelle grinned and set to work on Clary's eyeliner. A few minutes past before Isabelle spoke again. "Done. Come on, I found the cutest top in my suitcase. I think it would look super cute with those high-waisted shorts you have."

"The ones with the buttons?"

"Yeah, those."

Clary wriggled her eyebrows. "You think the top'll do all the work and seduce Jace for me?" The plan they'd come up with this afternoon had multiple down sides, the main one being that there was no other way for this to work than for Clary to break Jace's heart. Isabelle, for whatever reason, thought it would make him hurt the most.

Isabelle tipped her head back as she laughed loudly. "It just might."

Because Jace, obviously, was coming to the party with them. Clary highly doubted, however, that he would hang around with them. Probably Alec, but no one else. She realized then that despite his popularity among people for his looks, he had very little friends. At school he had always been surrounded by people, but where were they all now? As far as she knew Jace's phone wasn't ringing off the hook with people eager to talk to him. How lonely it must be, Clary thought, to have only one friend.

Isabelle, who had been digging through her suitcase, muttering about Oh where had she put that stupid thing? Finally spun around holding up a small knit tan and white crop top and looking triumphant.

"Iz," Clary laughed. "Why did you buy that in the first place, it looks tiny."

Pulling back to look at it, she nodded. "Oh, it is, trust me. It's a bra on me."