Chapter 9

"Biscuit?" Magnus' voice broke the barrier of sleep that surrounded Clary. She lifted her slowly, feeling a dull-but fiery-ache in her neck from how she'd slept. Magnus put his hand on her arm, and looked at her worriedly. "Are you alright?"

Clary didn't know if she was okay; she'd kissed Jace. The one person she despised most in the world. Would she ever be okay? Was she loosing her mind? Clary had slept with her head against her knees, while her arms were wrapped around her legs. Clary tried to stretch out her neck, but it made the dull ache flame up. "Not really," Clary managed, as Magnus pulled her to her feet. Her legs felt weak, and numb. Probably because she hadn't moved since she fell asleep. Magnus let her go, and she almost fell over. He caught her, and held onto her this time. He looked worried. "Biscuit, what's wrong?" Magnus asked. Clary almost blurted out that she'd kissed Jace, but figured it might be better if she kept that to herself. But maybe it had been a dream? But then Clary saw her sketch pad open at the drawing she'd done last night, and knew everything that had happened was real. Clary rubbed at her eyes, her hands feeling heavy.

"I went outside to draw last night," Clary said. "And I came back inside, and sat by the fireplace. I guess I fell asleep," Clary shrugged, feeling returning to her legs. Magnus nodded. "Well, I think I know what'll make you feel better. A coffee," Magnus gave her a warm smile, and brought her to the kitchen.

Sitting on a barstool, was Isabelle, who sat beside Alec. On the third barstool, was Jace. Isabelle turned, and looked at her. "You look awful," Isabelle remarked. Clary gave her a look, as if to say no, really? "Gee, thanks, Iz," Clary leaned against the opposite counter than Jace, as Magnus poured some coffee into one of the biggest mugs she'd ever seen. Magnus handed her the mug, and she looked at the liquid. Black. Just the way she liked it. Clary took a big mouthful, and swallowed it. "I found her asleep by the fireplace," Magnus informed them. Isabelle gave Clary a questioning look, but said nothing. "Why were you sleeping by the fireplace?" Alec asked, looking up at her from his bowl of cereal. "Because I was cold," Clary said sarcastically. Alec held his hands up in defense. "Someone's on edge this morning," Isabelle remarked. Clary gave her an annoyed smile. "Really? Maybe its because my neck feels like its on fire every time I move it?"

Clary took another long drink of coffee. "If you're going to be like this all day I am not taking you shopping," Isabelle warned. "This feels like déjà vu," Clary remarked dryly. "That's because we went through this yesterday," Alec pointed out. "Well, Izzy," Clary began. "I am not going shopping with you and Magnus, so just make sure you buy more coffee."

"I'm going too," Alec piped up. "Well, then, make sure I get my coffee," Clary said, and drained the last of her coffee.

"Or what?" Alec asked. Clary grinned at him. "Or else I'll be like this everyday. All day." Alec, Isabelle and Magnus all looked terrified, while Jace laughed at them under his breath. "And that's why I need coffee. Did I get my point across?" Clary asked, her eyes going around the room. "You certainly did, biscuit," Magnus answered for all of them. "Good." Clary set her coffee mug down on the counter, and went into the living room to grab her sketch pad and pencils.

XXX

Clary remembered the first day they'd gotten here-given, it was only a few days ago, but it felt like so much longer. When she'd seen the beautiful scenery, and flowers, and promised herself she'd draw them before summer ended. So, that's what she was doing. At the moment, she was drawing the flowers. There was a certain one that seemed to be the centerpiece of them all; a purple flower, with pointy petals, on the bottom, that went up in layers, until the top was just a bunch of petals. Clary was really trying to focus on that more so than any of the other ones, and she had to admit, the drawing was turning out nicely.