Chapter 10

"Clary!" Isabelle shook Clary awake from her restless sleep. "This is like trying to wake up a damn brick," Isabelle muttered. Clary sat up, and almost hit her head on Isabelle's, but thankfully Isabelle moved away in time. "I am not a brick," Clary said, narrowing her eyes at Isabelle. "I don't see how you aren't; you both have red colouring, and are hard to wake up."

"You can't wake a brick up," Clary pointed out. "Exactly."

Clary rolled her eyes at Isabelle, who sat across from Clary in her own bed. "Anyways," Isabelle said. "Do you want some coffee?" Clary squinted at the clock, that read 4:36 a.m. She tried to raise an eyebrow at Isabelle, but both went up, and Clary hoped Isabelle couldn't see it through the darkness that enveloped the bedroom. "Iz, can you tell time?" Isabelle looked at her, with a sort of stupefied expression. "Of course I can," Isabelle replied. "Are you sure? Because it's currently four-thirty in the morning."

"I know that," Isabelle said. "I couldn't sleep, and I wanted company."

"In that case, you should've brought the coffee with you," Clary pointed out, and Isabelle motioned to the cup of steaming coffee on the floor beside Clary's bed. Clary picked it up, and held it in her hands, relishing in the warm feel it sent through her hands, that resulted in soft shivers up her arms. "What exactly do you want to do at four-thirty in the morning?" Clary asked, suspiciously. "Because, I am not helping you hide another body-" Isabelle cut Clary off. "Shh!" She hissed, humouring Clary. "I thought we agreed not to talk about that?"

Clary laughed, it was a tired noise. "We could watch a movie?" Isabelle suggested. "I have my lap top, and there's internet here." Clary shrugged and nodded, before going to sit on Isabelle's bed. She pulled her laptop up, off the floor where it had sat, and placed it on the bed, as she waited for it to turn on. When it did, she put in her password, and clicked on the Netflix icon that appeared on her home screen. Clary was ashamed to admit that the icon was only there because they watched Netflix so much, and because they were too lazy to go on the internet and search it. While Clary was thinking, Isabelle had selected Gossip Girl, and they were watching it.

After they were about half an hour into it, Isabelle spoke, during a scene in which it showed Chuck Bass and Nate Archibald. "I'd do bad things for Chuck Bass," Isabelle said distractedly. "Frankly, I'd do bad things for any of the hot guys on this show," Clary said, as she watched Chuck and Nate talk. "Who wouldn't?" Isabelle asked. It was moments like these, when it was just her and Isabelle hanging out, that she truly appreciated someone who shared her unhealthy obsession with watching Gossip Girl, only to see the hot guys on the show-sometimes shirtless.

"Normal people, that's who," a voice that did not come from Isabelle's mouth said. One, it was too manly, and deep. And two, well Clary didn't really have a two. "You forgot to shut the door," Clary said half-mindedly, to Isabelle who was intent on watching Gossip Girl, along with Clary, who had completely forgotten Jace's presence-and frankly, she wanted to ignore him. After kissing him, again, yesterday, she hadn't really known how to hold herself around him. Because, they weren't really dating, but they weren't friends, either, and they didn't hate each other. So where did that leave them?

Clary had no idea.

XXX

After watching a good dozen episodes of Gossip Girl, Isabelle had looked at the time, and announced she, Alec, and Magnus had something to attend to-probably more shopping, that Magnus was forcing Alec to do with them-and had promptly gotten dressed, done her hair, makeup, and left. Leaving Clary and Jace alone.

So, basically, Clary had been hiding out in her bedroom since they left. The idea of leaving her bedroom, and running into Jace, scared her more than she could say. And it wasn't like she hadn't had her fill of coffee for the morning, but soon she would need to re-caffeinate, and leave her bedroom. Clary was just about to leave her bedroom, her hand on the knob, when her phone buzzed. She dashed over to it, like it was the first piece of food she'd seen in weeks. There was a message from Isabelle.