Chapter 3: Dandelion wishes

While the group tried to get everything into perspective, and those that lost did their grieving, she had slipped a little ways into the forest. Her arms wrapped around herself, still wishing that she'd have taken a sweater from one of the cars she'd previously slept in. 

        "After what just happened, you're gonna wander off alone?" Daryl's gruff voice broke the silent night air. 

        She didn't even turn to face him, as she felt him slip beside her, still staring off into the distance. 

        "It's hard to imagine there's monsters out there. I mean, I knew those things were out there, killed them as you saw, but I didn't want to believe they could touch me," her gaze grew vacant as she tried to continue, "We're all vulnerable, and if we're not alone already, we will be." 

        Her hand grabbed where the walker had earlier tried to take a bite. Being able to fight might have made her feel strong when it was only people she had to worry about, but now it made her as defenseless as she had been against her father. As for being alone, that wasn't a new concept for her.

        "So this is about feelin' sorry for yourself."

        Daryl was confused by her actions, and her words. One minute she's fighting for her life, and then the next she's contemplating it. The word "alone" made him go back to when he found her in the forest; there was no boyfriend Guillermo had mentioned, no family not even a stranger she had found along the way. How long had she been on her own?

        "No. I'm just being realistic."

        He had expected her to cry or even just put a little emotion behind it, but, again, she seemed level headed about the whole thing. Maybe she was made for survival more than he was, but he, more than anyone else, should know what it takes to get that way. Or, rather, what it takes away. 

        They stood in silence for a long time, before she finally turned to look up at him. 

        "I'm sorry we didn't find your brother."

        Though she seemed sincere enough, he scoffed.

        "Not as sorry as the people here would'a been if we had." 

        There was a gunshot in the distance that caused her to wince. He noticed.

        "You're gonna have to get used to that."

        She shook her head, walking a little ways away from him. 

        "You never get used to it." Her voice reached a depth that would suggest they weren't just talking about guns. "Besides, I'm pretty sure that was Andrea putting a bullet in her little sister."

        He had forgotten about the two blonds beside the RV. He was just relieved that, that woman had the sense to finally shoot her. 

        "Yeah, well she wasted enough of our god damn time."

        Though she's never personally experienced a loss, she was irritated at his lack of empathy. 

        "I don't get it. You couldn't care less about someone losing their sister even though you've just lost your brother. You of all people should understand."

        He met her glare with his own. 

        "Don't you lecture me; you don't know me!"