Chapter 4: They were a wildfire

Rick talked with the man who, despite letting them in, was suspicious. 

        "What do you want?"

        Alice couldn't help but notice the empty atmosphere of the building; she wondered where everyone else was. Perhaps they were down the elevator where he had come from. 

        "A chance," Rick's authority clearly shown in his voice as he spoke for the rest of the group. The doctor, or what she assumed by the white coat, seemed lifeless. She had noticed this in people who had given up all hope, the ones who later killed themselves. 

        "That's asking a lot these days." 

        It seemed the group agreed with his depressing statement, but she felt Daryl's hand twitch in her own. She knew he was preparing himself for the worst, but she didn't feel the need. The look in the doctor's eyes was enough to drop him as a threat.

        "I know it is, but we're good people. Please." Rick was pleading, and though he may have seemed pitiful, she admired him for it. He was doing what he needed for his family, and for these people, and ultimately for her. The doctor seemed to be contemplating this, but he finally agreed. 

        "Under one condition: everyone consents to a blood test." 

        Rick was elated, smiling even as the rest of the group joined in. "Of course." 

        "Good. Gather all your things and follow me; once that door closes, it won't open again."

        His words were nonchalant, but she felt a chill run down her spine. Exactly how long were they not going to open for? 

        With everyone moving around them, she remembered the rough hand in her own. Quickly she released it, a little embarrassed by her actions that led them to that. Alice wasn't a coward, but a horde that size would've scared anyone. Anyone except Daryl, it seemed. He was such a rock and such a hard read. Why hadn't he just let go of her hand? Had she really been so pitiful? His eyes glanced down to her, and she smiled wearily at him. "Thanks for," she fidgeted with her hands, "that."

        He noticed her embarrassment, but he was too busy trying to make his own actions right. Had he ever held a woman's hand before? None besides his mother’s. 

        "Here," the blue eyed man started, handing her a sports bag, "this is for you."

        She gave him a confused look as she unzipped the bag. It had women's clothing and various other things that she'd typically use, they even looked to be her size. Again, she was forced to see how foolish she had been to not gather supplies when they stopped. "You found this for me?"

        He grabbed his own bag as they walked towards the elevator. "Yeah well your dumb ass was too busy makin' wishes and shit." His voice was harsh, but his eyes didn't convince her. "And don't be thankin' me; I didn't do it for you."

        They made their way towards the back of the elevator as the rest followed.

        "Then who'd you do it for?"

        He had a smirk on his face before answering. "The good of the group, my truck. Those clothes ain't smellin' any better, Barbie."

        It was hard to remain on top of hygiene for anyone, at least the way it normally was, since everything went to hell. No one smelt like a rose, and he didn't actually notice any kind of odor coming off of her. It was mostly in excuse, and partially to make her squirm. He liked it when her cheeks flushed with color as they were now. And, Alice, for the first time, had to realize she'd been wearing the same clothes she had since running out of Atlanta. It must have been a week now.