Chapter Nine:Fatal Mistake

Before I knew what was going on,he was on his way to the dance floor and I was following him.When we started dancing,I asked him if he was hurting.

"Are you crazy?!"I hissed,"What if you get hurt?I couldn't deal with that-"He cut me off.

"We'll worry about that when the time comes.For now,just move with me.Don't speak."His voice was calm.It gave me knots in my stomach.Dancing with Jase seemed like we danced forever.We just stared into each other's eyes.We didn't care that the other couples around us were staring because we weren't moving like they were.We moved slower;as if we were savoring the moment more than they were.We didn't care what they said or did.They could have talked until their heads exploded for all we cared.We just wanted to look at each other.

When the dance was over,we went and sat back down where we earlier.Only now,Debby's eyes were filled with tears.She sat farther away for some reason too.I should have asked her what was wrong.I should have had some compassion.I should have,but I didn't.I was being selfish.I ignored it and continued thinking of Jase.

"Do you want to get out of here now?"He had a spark of happiness in his eyes.

"Whatever you want to do,"I smiled.

We ended up going to a bridge that stood over a river just outside of town.The moon was bigger than I had ever seen it before.Almost as if it had gotten closer to the Earth just to see us.The stars shined like a million tiny fireflies.They were congradulating us.The water below us was a perfect mirror for the world above it.It was like the night was perfect.Just for us.

"You look even more beautiful than the moon and all of the stars.That's why they're all so close tonight.They're marveling at your beauty.They're jealous."He smiled an amazingly handsome smile that made me nearly drop to my knees.

"I don't know about that..."I looked down.

"Don't be modest.You need confidence.It makes you even more beautiful,if that's even possible."I felt my face flush red.

"Jase....."

"Kyla,we need to tak about something real."He didn't look away from the sky as he spoke.

"Okay."I felt my stomach twist into a tight knot.

"I am not always going to be here.Your grandmother didn't tell you,but the force that keeps me here can't last much longer.Its just a matter of time."He still didn't look at me.

"No.Don't talk about that."My eyes filled with tears."I need you.She made you real because I need you.I'll die if you aren't here!I-I'll draw you again.Only she can make you real.And I can touch you.I can be with you forever.You can't-"He came up and kissed me before I could continue.It was amazing,but before long,I tasted ink.I pulled away.

"No.I hurt you!"I continued to cry.

He took his hand and covered his mouth to hide how bad it was.I grabbed his arm,feeling ink cover my hand immediately."I can get you back to grandma!Come on."I started to walk with him,but I stopped when I heard Debby's voice.

"You'd do anything for him,but you completely ditch us.So typical of you,Kyla."Debby stood at the other end of the bridge with her hands on her hips.She walked up to Jase and I.

"You completely forgot about Syd and I,didn't you?Want to know something?Syd is moving.She'll be gone next week!And you didn't know that because you've been joined at the hip with him for so long.When I saved him for you,I tried to get him away a bit.I wrote over and over that he should leave you and go back to where he came from,but it didn't work.Unfortunately.How could you do this,Kyla?"She looked torn apart.Jase sat up on the legde of the bridge as she talked,still covering his mouth.

"Debby,I didn't mean to do that to you guys.Can we talk this out later?We've kind of got an emergency..."

"No.If the emergency's him,then it can wait."Deb started talking with her hands.She always did that when she got really mad.

"Please,Debby!"

"No!What makes you think I'd let you ditch me one more time for him?!"She put both of her hands out and hit Jase.To this day,I don't know if she scared him,or if she mde him off balance,or if he got hit hard enough to hurt him.I just know that was the last time I saw him.He fell backward off of the bridge.Down into the river.

It all happened in slow motion for me.I remember screaming.Screaming and never planning on stopping.I tried to jump in after him,but Debby grabbed me and stopped me.I stared into that water for what seemed like years.The black splotch that floated where Jase fell.He was gone.

CLIFFHANGER!!I WARNED YOU ALL THAT YOU'D HATE THIS CHAPTER!!I'LL HAVE CHAPTER 10 UP SOON ;)