At Robert's

"You coming?" asked Robert as he stepped out of the door. Evelyn followed him quietly. They stepped into the elevator and went down, still in silence. Robert was typing something on his phone while Evelyn just looked down. The exited the building and there was a black Audi waiting for them.

"Good evening, Sir." the driver said. Robert nodded, opened the door for Evelyn to get in. She hesitated but got in after Robert shot her a warning glance.

The car ride to Robert's house was silent. Evelyn was still a bit scared of the man, she didn't know what to expect. Could she trust him? But she had no chance, nowhere to go. She couldn't escape, she wouldn't even survive the night. Some vampire would kill her before she even found a safe place. It was about 12am, but the streets were still crowded with vampires who headed to work or somewhere else. Evelyn saw a bunch of children and asked herself if they were born vampires or if they had been bitten.

"They're born." Robert said suddenly.

"What?" Now she was really scared. Could he look into her mind or something?

"The children, I saw how you looked at them. They were born as vampires."

"Ah, okay. And how does that...uhm...you know...work?" Robert laughed.

"Simple."

"Really?"

"Sex."

"Oh." Evelyn felt herself blush. The topic was usually something she didn't talk about and having Robert beside her made it even more uncomfortable and he noticed it.

"Loosen up, girl. It's just sex." he laughed.

"Uhm, yes." She just stared down at her hands.

"Everyone has to do it one day. You better learn to talk about it."

"Mhh, yeah."

"Anyway, back to vampire children. It's not allowed to turn a human child into an vampire, even we have rules. Some follow them, and some don't." Evelyn looked up and seemed really interested.

"And why do some vampires kill children?"

"Killing is a different thing. A lot of vampires hate to kill children, but you know, as humanity started to decrease, we also had to kill or turn some children."

"That's sick." 

"I know, but we needed to survive."

"And what's the difference between killing and turning?"

"Well, when you want to turn someone, you don't drink all of the blood and when you want to kill somebody, you just drink everything."

"And why didn't you turn everyone? A lot of people died!"

"We almost turned everyone, there are 6 billion of us."

"Yeah, but one billion died." Evelyn said angrily.

"A lot of people rather died than becoming a vampire, some people died during the transformation, others died because the vampire was too thirsty and some died because they were killed for fun."

"For fun?" Evelyn couldn't believe it.

"Yes, for fun. Some vampires kill for fun, like some humans used to do. Nothing's changed."

"For you."

"For everyone but you. The world is still turning, people are working, having families and everyone is happy." Evelyn remained silent. The car slowly stopped and Evelyn got out. She stood in front of a huge modern house and had to admit that it was pretty cool. They walked to the front door and Robert opened it. He let Evelyn in first and she was flabbergasted. This house was just amazing. Some of the walls were made out of glass and were used as windows, the rooms were big and spacious, the huge living room had a very nice fireplace and a big sofa with a lot of pillows on it. Everything was decorated nicely, pictures hung on the walls and there was a huge deep red carpet under the table of the dining room. It was really comfortable and welcoming. Through the glass doors of the living room Evelyn could see the big, beautiful backyard with a huge swimming pool and a jacuzzi, this was a dream house. She walked back to the dark wooden table, where a bowl full of fruits stood and saw a picture of a stunning woman on the wall.