Chapter Two

Chapter Two:

The next day started the same as the first. Maya drove to Google, grabbed something to eat, and went to sit in the hall where they would listen for their next instructions. When she got there she found Stuart sitting by the aisle with one leg lying across the seat next to him. Maya walked up to him.

"Hey." Stuart looked up from his phone at her and smiled before letting pulling his leg down and sliding over so she could sit.

"All yours. You look great, by the way." Stuart complimented her. Maya looked away for a second so she wouldn't blush. She wasn't sure why she got so easily flustered whenever he complimented her. She always took it in stride when her past boyfriends called her pretty, even before they were dating. And Stuart was just her friend.

Maya looked down at her outfit. She was wearing a white dress with floral print that ended mid-thigh, a green army jacket that looked almost like a blazer with the sleeves rolled up, and a pair of open toed, peach color wedges that matched the color of some of the flowers on her dress. She only wore two bagless on her left wrist, and a simply tear drop diamond necklace that her father bought her. Her hair was down in loose curls again.

"Thanks. You're looking pretty good yourself." She told him, making Stuart roll his eyes. "I'm serious."

"Yeah, sure. Anyways, I'm pretty sure they're separating us into teams today." Stuart changed the subject. Maya decided to just go along with it.

"Yeah, I figured. I overheard Chetty saying something about the first challenge being today, and those are group things, so..." Maya shrugged before taking a sip of her orange juice.

"I just hope we don't get stuck with those two idiots from yesterday." Stuart said.

"Eh, they'd probably be entertaining." Maya said.

"That's just because you're easily entertained." Stuart said, chuckling when Maya shoved his arm.

"I am not!" She protested.

"Maya you spent a good twenty minutes playing with the propeller on your Noogler hat yesterday, and you wouldn't stop giggling every time I made helicopter sounds. That's something that usually only appeals to infants." Stuart said bluntly. Maya rolled her eyes, but a guy started speaking over the microphone before she could reply.

"Welcome to day two!" The guy called out and the crowd cheered a bit. "My name's Sid, eight year Googler. You guys are new Googlers, thus you're Nooglers!"

"Now it makes sense!" Maya exclaimed while everyone else laughed at the man.

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." Stuart commented on the title. Maya shrugged before pulling out her phone, Stuart copying her.

"Okay. Now, this place is all about community and collaboration. So you'll be working in teams from here on out." Chetty came up to the guy and yanked the microphone out of his hands.

"You have five minutes. Pick your teams."

Maya simply moved to the side and sat on Stuart's lap without looking up from her phone.

From: Stuart

At 9:03am

Are you claiming me right now?

To: Stuart

At 9:04am

Obviously. I was just gonna put my feet in your lap, but I'm wearing a dress.

"CalTech. Nice. You're with me." Maya looked up from her phone to see a dark skinned guy with a british accent staring at her.

"Excuse me?" She said.