Chapter 7

Waking up the next morning, Harry once more experienced the unpleasant sensation of not remembering where he was.

It only took a moment before he recalled the events of the previous evening. He took a deep breath before sitting up, pleased to note the absence of pain. Madam Pomfrey really was a godsend.

Looking around the rather bare room, Harry bit his lip in thought. Living with a professor would be a bit of an adjustment, but he was happy to be able to see his godfather as well. He didn't know what to expect for the rest of the summer, but it had to be better than the start. He looked over to where he saw his trunk sitting next to the dresser, waiting to be unpacked. He stood up and moved over to search for some clean clothes. Everything he had was at least four sizes too large, and most had holes in them as well. He grimaced, trying to find the least ratty t-shirt, slipping it over his head with a sigh.

Next, he decided to pull out his Ancient Runes textbook, thinking he'd be able to read a chapter or two before breakfast. His somewhat battered watch showed the time to be quite early.

It was nearly an hour later when a house elf popped into Harry's room, startling him out of his Runes reading. "Hello," he said, surprised, setting down the book and swinging his legs over the side of the bed.

The elf looked slightly startled, but bobbed up and down eagerly. "Mistress sent Tibby to tell Mister Harry that breakfast is ready," it squeaked.

Harry nodded. "Thank you, Tibby," he replied, smiling kindly. The elf reminded him a little of Dobby, though perhaps a more toned down version. "I'll be down shortly." The elf nodded, looking awed at his kindness, and disappeared, and Harry put on his shoes, running a hand through his hair as he left the room, trying to remember the route to the dining room.

He only got lost once, and was quite hungry by the time he found his way to the impressive room. The table could easily seat thirty people, with room to spare. There was gilding along the walls, and a remarkable chandelier was hanging from the ceiling.

Minerva and Sirius were seated at one end, with what looked like breakfast for ten surrounding them.

As soon as Harry sat down, he was accosted by his godfather, who wasted no time in piling his plate with a traditional English breakfast. Harry looked down at the fried eggs, bacon, fried tomatoes, mushrooms, toast, sausages, and baked beans, and winced. He was hungry, but he wasn't sure he was that hungry.

He turned pleading eyes on his godfather, who just smiled. "You need to eat more," he told his godson. He held out a vial to the young wizard. "Madam Pomfrey is setting up a plan for you, but it involves taking these nutrient potions for the next month. It should help with your appetite, and it needs to be taken with a meal."

Harry grimaced, but dutifully took the offered potion, downing it in one gulp, and turning to the loaded plate in front of him.

Surprisingly, the more he ate, the hungrier he became. He figured that was the potion at work, and had cleared his plate within five minutes.

Both adults watched him with varying degrees of relief, pleased to see him with a healthy appetite.

Sirius passed him some more toast and bacon, which he took with a rueful grin. Sirius returned the smile, before setting the plate of food down and turning to Minerva, indicating that she tell their young charge the plan for the day.

Minerva gave him a soft glare, knowing that he just didn't want to have to be the one to break the news to Harry. She sighed at his nonchalant attitude, and turned back to the soon to be fourth year. "I've set up a meeting with Amelia Bones and the head of the Department of Child Welfare, Patricia Welding. They should both be here at eleven. Poppy will be present as well, and will give them evidence of your mistreatment." Harry nodded, uncomfortable, staring at his plate. Minerva reached out with one hand, resting it on his shoulder reassuringly. "We're all on your side here, Harry. I don't foresee any complications, so don't worry."