Chapter 18

Disclaimer: not mine

Sirius looked up as the fireplace flared, and took a deep breath, steeling himself. He smiled and stepped forward, greeting his visitors. He was very glad that Minerva had offered him her home to live in, even though she was not in residence for the majority of the year. He was glad she trusted him enough - or thought he had grown up enough - to not burn it to the ground. Another visit to Grimmauld Place, and a rather trying conversation with his family's house elf, Kreacher, had been executed shortly after he had seen Harry off to school. He had had to get firm with the elf, but a direct order to begin cleaning up his Ancestral Home had yielded results. Seemingly, Kreacher had been getting a little bored. He didn't think he would ever actually want to live there, but it would be nice to have the option, without having to be wary of anything he touched.

Andromeda Tonks stepped out first, followed quickly by her husband Ted, and their daughter Nymphadora.

Andromeda steadied herself and looked for her cousin, smiling. It had been a long time since she had seen him; as two disgraced members of the Black family, they had clung to each other. When she had run away from her family to marry Ted, a muggleborn, she had been cast out from the family. Sirius had received the same treatment after he had run away to the Potters at sixteen, and after Walburga's brother Alphard had left his nephew a sizable inheritance Andromeda had made sure to invite him over for supper at least once a week, and had happily hosted his friends as well, many times.

"Sirius, it is so good to see you." She stepped forward and embraced her favorite relative.

Sirius grinned back, as the two separated. He shook Ted's hand, and gave Nymphadora a light hug as well. "Thanks for coming," he replied, gesturing for the family to take a seat.

Andromeda led the conversation, asking Sirius about his recovery, and generally catching him up on everything he had missed.

Tibby popped in a while later, announcing that dinner was ready, and the four witches and wizards made their way to the dining room. Remus joined them there, knowing that Sirius had wanted some time alone with his family first.

"Hey, Mooney," Sirius grinned as the werewolf entered the room.

Remus smiled and moved over to shake hands with Andromeda and Ted. "Andromeda, right? I remember you from a long time ago."

Andromeda nodded, her face lighting up. "Little Remus Lupin, you've certainly grown up!"

Remus blushed, turning to her husband. "Ted, how are you?"

Ted shook the younger man's hand firmly. "I'm doing well, Remus. It has been a while, hasn't it?"

Remus and Sirius both nodded.

Nymphadora tripped forward, offering her own hand as she blushed. "Hi, I'm Tonks."

Remus smiled as he shook her hand. "I remember you, though it was a long time ago. You've certainly grown."

Tonks' blushed deepened. She didn't really remember meeting him, but she figured it would have been when Sirius was still in school, and she had been quite young then.

The group sat down to eat, and the meal passed in a whirlwind of laughter and stories about the past.

Tonks kept sneaking glances at Remus, blushing every time he asked her a question about her work, or what she did with her free time.

All in all, Sirius thought it was a great night, and when the Tonks' left, they promised to spend some more time together, with the only family they had that they weren't ashamed of.

XXX

The first meeting of the inter-house study group took place the following Thursday, starting at six thirty in the evening, which gave everyone enough time to eat supper first. It would last an hour and a half, giving everyone plenty of time to make it back to their common rooms before curfew.