Chapter 10

Disclaimer: Not mine

Minerva and Harry were pleasantly surprised when they returned, to find that Sirius had made good use of the rest of the afternoon. He had separated out their purchases, and cajoled two of the McGonagall house elves into helping him paint their rooms.

Harry's room now looked much more lived in. His walls were a pleasant gray color, and his new red sheets and maroon comforter were on the bed. A soft plush blanket Harry had fallen in love with after touching it just once complimented the color scheme. It was a medium gray with a maroon border, and was folded neatly at the end of the bed.

The bookshelf had been built, and was sitting next to the desk. The towels and toiletries had been placed in the bathroom, and the suits and nicer trousers and shirts had been hung up in the closet. His dresser had also been stocked.

His trunk was the only thing still looking out of place. Sirius looked a little nervous. "I thought I'd set everything up, but if you don't like it, we can change it. I left the posters and decorations for you to do with what you please, and I didn't want to go through your trunk."

Harry nodded, choked up at the thoughtfulness. He didn't need to say anything; the huge hug he gave his godfather said it all.

Minerva smiled at the display of affection, before leaving them to continue setting up their rooms, after informing them that supper would take place in half an hour.

XXX

The days fell into a bit of a routine after that. Once they had finished their decorating - Sirius had been very happy with Harry's choices of Quidditch decoration, and approved the robes Minerva had picked out - they settled into summer. Harry spent much more than the required hour working on his summer assignments and other studies every day, as the books he had acquired were quickly put to good use. He had learned more about Potions just reading the books Minerva had chosen for him than he had in three years of lessons with Snape.

Harry also wrote to his friends, assuring them that he was safe, and telling them he'd see them soon. He wanted to ask Aunt Minerva about inviting his friends over, but was afraid she'd say no, or disapprove of the request for some reason. After all, she spent most of the year around children, maybe she just wanted the summer to herself.

Both she and Sirius were working on his insecurities, but it was slow going. Sirius took him out flying every afternoon, and was thoroughly impressed by his godson's skills. The boy was a born flyer.

Amelia came to visit at least four times a week, and Harry was somewhat pleased - and surprised - to realize that she seemed interested in Sirius. In a more than friendly way.

Amelia had broached the idea of bringing Susan along, but was hesitant to guess at how she would take a meeting with an infamous murderer. Still, she hoped that he would be free soon, and then she could introduce him to her charge. She would never consider taking their relationship to the next level unless Susan was all right with it. And if Sirius couldn't get along with Susan, they would never be anything. Not that she was worried, watching him with Harry she knew he would be a great father. Or uncle.

Harry also finally asked the question that had been gnawing at him since that conversation with Minerva before leaving Hogwarts.

What he learned only made him more determined to get to know Neville. He knew what it was like to be parentless, and for Neville to still be able to see his, but not have them recognize him, was horrible. Learning that his own mother had been Neville's godmother was also surprising.

One morning, a week or so after their shopping trip, Harry finally felt sure enough to ask his guardian if he could have some friends over. Minerva immediately agreed, and Harry leapt up with a grin, running to his bedroom to send off some invitations. Truthfully, he missed his friends, and now that he finally had a home, he wanted to show it off. Ron would love the Quidditch pitch, and he thought Hermione would drool over the library - both his own, and the one McGonagall had on the ground floor. It housed a truly impressive number of books, though Sirius informed him that Potter Manor had at least as many, and probably more. Learning that he had an Ancestral Home was a shock, and thus began daily lessons from Sirius on what he should have learned from birth - the duties expected of him as the head of an Ancient and Noble House. It was a lot to learn, but Harry thought he was keeping up.