Chapter 15

Disclaimer: don't own

Once back at McGonagall castle, Harry was finally able to tell his guardians about the events of the World Cup in detail. He was hesitant to speak about the threat, but he knew that they would want to know.

Both were angry and worried, but knew that the only thing they could really do was warn him to be careful.

Harry fidgeted. "The thing is, I recognized the voice. Mr. Malfoy has a very distinctive drawl."

Minerva blanched. "You're certain?" she asked seriously.

Harry nodded. "I definitely knew his voice," he stated positively.

Minerva sighed, collapsing into a chair. "I will tell Amelia, but I'm sure you realize that there isn't anything that can be done about it at this time." Harry nodded. "As long as he has the Minister in his pocket, Malfoy will always escape justice. But Amelia can watch him. If he sets one toe out of line, she'll be there."

XXX

The days to the Wizengamot meeting dwindled, and Amelia spent a great deal of time at McGonagall Castle with Augusta, Minerva, and Sirius, going over their plan. Sirius and Remus continued their lessons with Harry and his friends, including the Weasley twins. Both Marauders praised the soon-to-be third, fourth, and sixth years on their progress. Remus told them that they were all very advanced for their ages, and would notice the improvement very quickly once returning to school.

In addition to the lessons, Harry made sure to spend a good deal of time just relaxing and having fun. He and his friends would spend at least an hour every day flying, and more time just talking. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had been friends for three years already, but Neville, Susan, and Ginny hadn't known them that well - apart from Ginny and Ron, of course - so they were enjoying getting to know their new friends. The trio had expanded readily enough into a group of six, and to Harry, the addition of Neville, Susan, and Ginny was both welcome, and unquestionable. Even though they were new, they all fit quite completely into the circle. Harry truly enjoyed having so many friends, and he hoped that they would continue to have the same dynamic once back at Hogwarts.

On August twenty ninth, a nervous Harry watched as Minerva and Sirius prepared to depart.

Sirius looked every bit the Lord Black, thanks to the Goblin glamour bracelet. He had been able to go out and buy some formal robes, as Minerva had only gotten him a few casual ones when she had taken Harry clothes shopping.

"Don't worry, pup," he reassured his godson. "We've planned and planned, there's no way this goes wrong."

Harry didn't look all that reassured. "But what if Fudge - "

"If Fudge tries anything, he'll have to go through me."

Amelia Bones had appeared, ready to escort the escaped fugitive to the trial of a century. He would wait outside, disguised with his glamour bracelet, until the moment came for him to enter. He would only do so once Amelia had played his memories to cast the seed of doubt on his guilt.

Oddly enough, Amelia's statement did seem to get through to Harry, and he gave his godfather a huge hug. "Promise me you'll come back," he whispered, trying not to cry.

Minerva was going as well, because she wanted to see what happened, and also because she was seen as a staple in the wizarding world, much like Augusta. As old as the McGonagall family was, they did not have a seat on the Wizengamot, so the best she could do was sit in the audience to offer her support.

Once he was alone, Harry felt the silence closing in, as all he could think about was what Fudge might do to cover up the Ministry's mistake.

He was surprised when, not two minutes later, the Floo flared to life again and Ginny stepped out.