II. Regret

Regret is a feeling you will never forget.

And yes, I know that rhymes.

Regret is strange and different from all other feelings. It makes people do strange things. Strange things like rhyming.

The dictionary defines regret as a feeling of sadness, or disappointment over an occurrence or something that one has done or failed to do.

I define regret as a stomach-churning, heart-breaking poison that slowly crawls through your entire being, enveloping you in a suffocating mass of unforgiving emotions.

It is something that will strangle you until you're gasping for breath, until you're on your knees, begging. Pleading. Pleading for forgiveness. Promising to do better next time.

It's a feeling that will make itself known. It will make its way out of the barren lands you've forced it into, shoving itself in your face. It will take over you and force you to do things you had never thought you would.

Depending on how you deal with it, it can either make you or break you. If you ignore it, it will keep growing bigger and bigger until you're left with a huge, never-ending cyclone of regret. A hurricane of repentance. A tsunami of overflowing 'I should have's and 'I could have's.

But if you listen to it, if you answer its call and pay it heed, it will calm down and calm you down as well, carving you into a better person, making sure all your promises are fulfilled and all your intentions are for the world's good will.

Most people don't know how to handle it. When they feel themselves overpowered by regret, they curl into a ball and lock themselves away in a world of their own, oblivious to the fact that by doing this, they shall face even more trouble than before.

When you feel regret, you should immediately go and erase the actions that caused it and write out new ones, ones that will make it vanish. You should concentrate on it and focus on what it's telling you to do. For regret can change you. For better or for worse.

The thing about regret is that it doesn't come without compromises. To feel it, you must do something bad. Something regrettable. To shoo it away, you must do something good. Something kind.

Too bad I'm an unkind person with absolutely no good intentions.