Chapter 18

So, I had a different chapter written, but it got lost and I was so frustrated I almost just didn't re-write it. But, due to you guys being incredible, I decided to give it another go.

So thank you for all of your encouragement.

Also, I have a new book called Out of the Blu if you could check it out, I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

Fan, comment, vote, share!

***

(Jon)

I followed Logan carefully as I walked behind him to my soundproof office, my eyes trained on his every move. Although Kaila had complete confidence in his loyalties, I still wasn't' completely sure I was going to let him live. He set my wolf on edge, and I didn't like the way he looked at Kaila. During the escape he had shown his worth by helping me kill the abominations so I would feel slightly bad if I had to kill him. But if he so much as breathed too heavily on Kaila I wouldn't hesitate. This little conversation would defiantly be interesting.

If Logan wanted to stay here, he better convince me he's a fucking saint. 

Striding past him, I opened the door and closed it sharply behind him. Motioning to the empty chair, I settled into mine. I was ready for this meeting to be over so I could return to my little kitten. Clearing his throat, Logan obviously felt the same way.

"I am not after your mate." My black laughter filled the room.

"You wouldn't even get the chance. I would end you." No humor was in my voice, I was dead serious.

"All I want is to protect her, make sure she's safe. Nothing even remotely romantic. She bit me, and now my whole being is dedicated to her. Whatever she needs." 

I took a deep breath to calm myself. I thought of Kaila and how disappointed in me she would be if I just ripped his pathetic head off. The thought of her lip quivering in sadness made me relax enough to control the urge.

"I am her mate. I'm all that she needs. If I ever get even the slightest passing thought that you want to be more to her than a bodyguard, your head will no longer be attached to your body. Am I clear?" My wolf surfaced at the threat to his mate and added a growl that made Logan swallow much to my enjoyment. 

"Crystal." Logan's voice cracked a bit, "Can we be friends?" He asked hesitantly. My first instinct was, of course, to snarl my disapproval at the question. Instead, I sat still and pondered his proposal. He did help save her, and she does like his company. Before I could scowl at that thought, I named my terms.

"No touching, and no nicknames."

"Deal." Logan's face lit up much to my dismay, but I couldn't blame him. My mate was amazing. 

"Now about Declan."

***

(Kaila)

Edris bit her lip at Eve's blunt question. I could tell by the flickers of emotion in her bottomless grey  eyes that she was debating whether or not to be honest and open up. Starting slowly, she seemed to pick her words carefully. 

"I was twelve when it happened. My pack was attacked by Declan's rouges, and everyone was killed. I was the only survivor. For some reason, Declan spared me from the slaughter and brought me to the compound. I've been there ever since." Her story was too short and simple to sum up her entire life, so Eve pressed on.

"How old are you?"

"I'll be eighteen by the end of this month."

"Do you have anyone we could contact for you? Someone who wasn't in your old pack?" 

I could see her visibly flinch from the question and I decided to end her discomfort. Putting a hand on Eve's arms I stopped her inquiry. 

"Eve, that's enough." I said softly. I could see the quiver in Edris' lip as she tried to hold it together. Eve blinked a couple of times before she seemed to realize what she had said. Quickly scrambling to the tiny girl, she wound her arms around her. 

"I am so sorry, I tend to race through my thoughts and just say what I'm thinking. No filter, you know?" She swiped gently at the tears that silently trailed down Edris' face. I smiled at the scene, Eve was going to be a great mother. 

There was a small knock on the door that captured all of our attention. Will stepped in and took note of the atmosphere. Clearing his throat he held out his arms for Eve, who silently detangled herself  from Edris and settled into his arms. He looked over her head at us and offered a small, genuine smile.

"Kaila, Jon is waiting for you in his office." I nodded at him and stood, turning to look at Edris. 

"Aren't you coming?" I raised my eyebrow at her. She scrambled to her feet before taking off after me. I had already walked down the hall, eager to get to my own mate, and could hear Eve and Will following behind us. Taking the route that I had memorized on my tour of the house, I came to an old-fashioned oak door, that had ornate designs and symbols carved into it. I reached my hand up to knock, but before I could make contact the door flew open. 

Jon's beautiful face greeted mine, and I'm pretty sure we both had identical goofy grins. I wasn't sure who reached for who, but I found myself surrounded by Jon. His delicious earthy scent sent shivers down my spine which in turn made him rub my back soothingly. A kiss was pressed into my hair, and it wasn't until someone cleared their throat that we pulled away. Blush worked its way to my cheeks and Jon simply chuckled. He tugged my arm to bring us behind the matching oak desk and sat us on his executive chair. Well, he sat and I perched on his lap.

Looking around, I noticed Logan for the fist time, leaning intimidatingly against one of the bookcases. If I didn't have the deep instinct to trust the big guy, I would probably be fidgeting uncomfortably like the rest of the group. Only Jon and I seemed immune to the danger that Logan radiated. 

My attencion was captured when Jon took a strand of my hair and pplaced it behind my ear. I turned to ask why I was summonded into his office, when the sweetest kiss was placed on my lips. It was also very short. His blue eyes shined and I knew it was because he could feel my change in mood. 

It seems like ever since we had gotten back, all I wanted to do was get Jon alone. He knew it, and I'm pretty sure everyone else did as well much to my chagrin. I sagged against him and waited for him to talk. 

"Logan was just about to tell us all about Declan, and I wanted you here with me so that we can decide how we want to retaliate." His soft voice tickled my ears, and though his words were for me I knew that everyone could hear them. Happiness and pride bubbled up in me as I realized he was trying to make up for earlier. This was his subtle apology, by showing that he didn't want to keep anything from me. I leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the corner of his lips. He understood that that was me telling him I forgave him. 

Then Logan began to tell us about the monster called Declan.