Chapter 19

(Logan)

I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. Everyone had settled into a chair and was looking at me expectantly, as if I had all the answers to their problems.

"I- well I don't really know where to begin." I confessed, this whole mess had turned into a complicated nightmare. I sifted through my memories, some more painful than others, trying to find a good starting point. Whenever the thought of someone I had hurt or killed came up I flinched, knowing that it would haunt me for the rest of my life. A small hand rested on my forearms and I locked eyes with Kaila. Her touched quieted the nightmare reel of memories racing through my mind. I offered her a thankful smile.

"How about you start from the beginning. Maybe when Declan found you?" She suggested, leaning back into Jon who reflexively wrapped his arms around her waist.  

"In order to start from the beginning, I'm going to have to go further back than that. To the night that I lost my mate and turned into a monster." I steeled myself for the horrible trip down memory lane that was about to take place. 

"We were out on a routine patrol run. Marie-" I had to suck in a breath because her name still felt like a prayer on my lips, "-and I were just running. Still in that blissful honeymoon phase of our mating, where all we could think about was the next time we could be alone. We had just finished our third lap of the southern border, our Alpha had ordered me back to review a new layout of some territory he had recently acquired. We still had the northern border to scout. It had been quiet since our dispute between enemy packs, so Marie convinced me she could handle the simple run. I was at the  pack house when I felt the worst pain, starting in my heart. I knew exactly when it happened- when Marie died. I was to late to save her. I had failed my mate." My head dropped into my hands as I let the image that has tortured me every night since her death wash over me.

My beautiful Marie lying in a pool of her own blood with four Weres from the enemy pack hunched over her dead body. The time from when I first saw her and when I had ripped them to shreds was a blur to me, but I can still hear the satisfying crunch that resounded every time my powerful jaws shattered their bones. 

"When I got to her she was already going cold." I heard a soft gasp and looked up to see Kaila's eyes watering, her hand delicately covering her mouth in horror. When my eyes slid to Jonathan, I saw understanding in his eyes and something akin to pity. The fury that rushed through my veins at that look is exactly why I didn't want to share my story. 

"I couldn't reign in my beast enough to shift back, so I flopped down beside her and laid my head on her stomach. Hours passed until I heard the first sign that someone was coming near me, so I did what an maybe in that state of mind would do; I arranged myself in a fighting stance and prepared to join my mate. Little did I know I was about to go to hell. It was Declan in the woods, who had his minions jump me and hold me down while he slit his wrist and made me drink his blood. It felt as though every nerve ending was being burned alive, and lasted most of the night. Next thing I knew I was waking up in that place we just escaped from. That was four months ago." The room went quiet as my story was digested. I let that sink in before I started on the information that Jonathan wanted. 

"Unfortunatly, Declan always kept me at arms length when he was creating his evil plans so I only know what orders he wanted me to carry out. You were my main assignment, Jonathan, as was snatching Kaila. There was only one other thing that I know of that he wanted me to do." I hung my head in shame as I thought of what I would've done had I not been saved. Suddenly, there was a hand placed on my arm that instantly lightened my heavy heart. 

"Whatever it is he ordered you to do, you never would've gone through with it. You were fighting his blood before I bit you, I could see it when I saw you in the dungeons. Your heart is more pure than you think it is." Her words lifted my spirits but all I could manage is a sad smile. 

"Thank you for that Kaila, but you're wrong" I whispered, "He ordered me to lead an army to Brixton's Academy, a highly gaurded Were school for the children of Werewolf packs all around the world. He ordered me to kill them all. And I would've done it too, because when you're possessed by such evil you have no choice but to obey."Jonathan leaned forward, alarm in his stature.

"When was this attack suppose to take place?" He asked urgently. I looked at the calender on my phone. 

"On December 21, the winter equinox. When the Damned's powers are at its peak." 

"Looks like we have a bunch of punks to save, don't we?" The other man in the room, the one with the pregnant mate, said with a cheeky smile. 

***

I know it's short- but its an update! I finally have a direction also!(: