Chapter 6

I nearly fell off of his lap after his startling revelation, but Jon's strong arms kept me anchored to his warm body. My world tilted and tried to rearrange itself to fit this new reality, one where I spouted a tail and fur. Somehow I knew, deep down, that this was my life now. I would shift into a huge wolf, and stay by Jonathan's side.

            It didn't mean I would take this lightly.

            I slipped out of Jonathan's arms, much to his reluctance if his sigh was any indication, and started to pace the room. Every once in a while I would stop and turn to face Jon with a question on my lips only to snap my mouth close and continue to pace. Jon was watching  me warily, as if I would pass out from this shocker also.

            "Kitten, would you please stop burning a hole in the carpet and talk to me?" I immediately stopped walking, and yet I couldn't do anything except stand there and look at Jon, all my logic and reason flying out the window as I stared at his crystal blue. He sighed again and stood up, taking me delicately in his arms.

            "Please, talk to me."

            "I'm scared, Jon." The words tumbled out without thought, and his arms tightened around me. I felt him lay kisses on my forehead before speaking.

            " I promise I will take care of you, love. No harm will come to you ever." His words wrapped around me like a safety blanket. I laid my head on his chest and he stroked my hair.

            "Can we talk about the whole mate thing?" I mumbled into his chest, and I was surprised he could make out the words. He scooped me up and we resumed our comfortable position on the couch, with me  perched on his lap. He swooped down and pressed a feather light kiss to my lips, leaving blush to rush up to my cheeks. Chuckling at my expression he raised an eyebrow, waiting on my thousands of questions. I decided to start with the simplest one.

            "So, what exactly is a mate?"

            "The proper terminology is a soul-mate. A mate is the whole package; a friend, lover, or protector. Anything you could possibly need. Fate selects the pairing, and without your mate you can never feel complete. And to be honest, I never want to even think about leaving your side." I shivered at the intensity in his voice, sincerity ringing in every word.