Shut Up And Dance With Me

Stirring awake, Jake blinked a few times, clutching his head in his hands. He felt ill, and just wanted to be asleep again. He sat up, groaning in the process, noticing that some of the lights were back on. A cool, damp towel slides off of his forehead, and he stared at it in confusion.

He reached over to flip that lamp off when he noticed Emily, curled up in the large chair next to the bed, her body half folded over on his bed, her head resting on his thigh.

Memories clouded his vision, and for a moment he remembered exactly what happened. He was laughing with his friend when he felt sick. He stumbled to the nurses office, and crashed on one of the beds. He remembers something about the nurse leaving, and hearing what sounded like Emily talking but it all was cloudy.

Jake held his hand over her head, trembling slightly. He ran his fingers through the soft hair, playing with the ends.  He smiled to himself, feeling better than he did before.

He felt sleep take over him, his hand still holding on to her hair.

---------

A feeling of calm and warmth was the only thing that Emily could think about. She had never felt so comfortable and she didn't even know where she was. As soon as it registered to her that she was still in the nurse's office, she sprang up, rubbing sleep out of her eye. A tug on the end of her hair made her look down to see Jake's fingers tangled in a few strands, as if he had been playing with her hair. A blush spread across her face, as she untangled the tiny strands from his strong grasp.

Emily whipped out her phone, a gasp leaving her body as she noticed the time. Quickly, she responded to all of the messages that her friends had left her over the last few hours, and snuck a glance at Jake. His long lashes fluttered with sleep, his cheek's slight flush making his light freckles stand out against his tan skin. Tearing her gaze away, Emily took note of the towel she had placed on his head, that was now on the bedside table rather than on his forehead where she had left it.

Frowning, Emily grabbed the towel and placed her hands on his forehead to check if he still had a fever. She shook her head, noticing that he still had a slight fever, though it was drastically better than before.

Pushing her chair slightly out of the way, Emily made her way towards the small sink near the back of the room. The damp towel dropped into the sink with a hushed thump, as she turned on the water.

Emily placed both of her hands on either side of the sink, sighing as her shoulders drooped. She hung her head for a moment, trying to wrap her head around everything that has happened over the course of a few days.

Placing one hand in the sink, she fondled with the towel to get it to a cold temperature, before using her other hand to turn the water off completely. She rang out the towel, and folded it neatly before making her way back to where Jake was resting quietly.

Leading with the towel, she gently placed it on his forehead, the shock of the cold making Jake's eyes flutter open in surprise.

If Emily could teleport, she would be in Mexico right about now.

Jake's eyes seemed to be clouded with sleep and confusion, though when they landed on Emily they seemed to soften slightly. Jake shot her a puzzled expression after a moment.

"Hey," Emily started, looking around by her ankles for her book bag, before Jake cut her off suddenly.

"You're awake."

Emily frowned, shooting him a confused stare. "I should be saying that to you."

They stared at each other, racking their brains in hope to find something to say that could possibly break the tense mood. Jake settled on trying to sit up, a small groan escaping his lips at the effort. Emily shot her hands out to push his gently back down, with a firm glare.