The Office Manager, Part XX - Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

**Tuesday**
She awakes to the sound of her phone vibrating itself hard against the wooden bedside table. Groggily she answers the phone, barely opening her eyes, and then closing them as soon as she answers, "Hello?" knowing it's Michael.

"Baby, I'm sorry to wake you," he says, speaking softly.

"It's okay," she replies, smiling, snuggling under the covers at the cooing quality to his voice. "What time is it?"

"Um well it's 5 am your time, 8 am here. We're going to the zoo from 9 to 11 am before they open, so I thought I'd call you now while I had a minute to talk."

"Mmm okay I understand," she says still sleepy.

"God you sound sexy," he says. "I wanna crawl into that bed with you and mess you all up."

"Oh babydoll, stop it," she says without thinking, her body flashing with luscious heat at his words. "God, don't make me hot."

"Nibble on your ear, suck on your neck. I know how you like that."

"Yes," she replies. "Oh god yes, I do," she replies, feeling like she's in a dream. In this dream-like state, she continues, saying in a child-like voice, "You know what I wanna do?"

"What?" he replies, enthralled.

"I want to undress you."

He makes a soft, high-pitched noise, a sort of whimper, but says nothing.

"Mmm hmm from one of them fancy outfits you wear... something with lots of layers or belts and buckles and buttons and stuff..." she pauses. She only hears his breathing at the other end of the line. "It'd take some time... Oh Lordy..." she says, getting lost in her fantasy.

Her brain is fuzzy, she's so tired, the sun hasn't come up yet so it's pitch dark, and she hears herself speaking as if she is not in her own body, but outside of it.

"Phoebe," he finally says, "Oh girl. I ... god I wish I was there."

"Me, too," she says. "I'm laying here all lonely and alone."

He giggles a bit at her words, the double-use of the same relative term. "You are a tired girl, aren't you?"

"Uh huh but I want you," she says easily.

"And I want you, and you know what I was thinking?"

"Nope," she replies.

He giggles again, "I was thinking that I'd like to take you out for a walk on the Ranch. We'd bring a picnic basket and a couple warm, thick blankets. We'd pick a warm night and stay out til the sun went down. Then baby, I want to make love to you under stars."

"Oh Michael, oh Michael! I want to kiss your face, that's so wonderful!" she says, her heart melting.

"Slow, real slow, so we can enjoy nature as we are a part of it," he adds.

"Oh lordy," she says again.

"And your noises and cries would become a part of nature as well, as would mine."

"Christ, I wanna make you make noises right now! Why ya call me up and tell me this? Oh god!" she exclaims, fighting tears now.

"Baby, I called you up to tell you this because I want you to be thinking of this the rest of the day. I want you to hold that thought in your mind, roll it around, imagine it, and don't forget me."

"If you were here'd I'd smack you! Forget you? Are you insane? I love you, boy!" About then Phoebe starts to realize how emotional she is, waking up a bit more.