The Office Manager, Part XXVIII - The Kid Conundrum

When they get to the kids' room, they are both awake and playing. At first, Michael tries to settle them down for fear they'll be cranky later if they don't sleep more now, but then he thinks better of it, telling Phoebe, whispering in her ear, "If I let them up now, we can put them down early." He gazes deep into her eyes. She swallows hard. His eyes say, 'I have plans for you.' She can't wait.

They get the kids up and spend the afternoon together, playing games, watching cartoons, and just cavorting around. Phoebe begins to feel a warm glow inside, something bigger, deeper than even her love for Michael; it's the warm glow of family, of togetherness, of harmony, of agape love.

It's over dinner that Phoebe begins to well up, as she helps Prince by cutting his chicken breast and helping him eat, while Michael helps Paris. She excuses herself quickly and gets up from the table running to the bathroom in tears. She forgets to grab the door and its heavy weight as she closes it, and it slams shut. She locks the door, betting Michael is going to be following her and she doesn't want him in. Not this time.

She grabs the tissues and blows her nose and dabs at her eyes, trying to rescue her make-up, but it's no use.

She hears a bit of a commotion outside then she hears a gentle rap at the door.

"Phoebe?" Michael asks tenuously. "What's wrong?" he asks, his tone urgent.

There's a pause and Phoebe hears that Prince and Paris have followed their father to the doorway. "Kids, I told you to stay at the table and finish your food," she hears Michael reprimand them.

They protest, and he ignores them, talking to Phoebe through the door. "Phoebe," he says, his tone gentler, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes," she answers quickly. She's instantly embarrassed. Making a scene in front of Michael's children; oh what must he think of her? He might be mad, she can't tell. She's going to have to go out there and explain herself. Somehow. With his kids around. If she could just bend his ear privately...

She blows her nose one more time, dabs her tears, sucks in her breath, and opens the door. They're all standing there, in rapt interest. Michael looks sincerely perplexed, but not upset at her. The kids are just innocently curious.

Michael and Prince ask at the same time, "Are you okay?" again.

Prince scatters out from behind Michael's legs to grab Phoebe's hand. "Whatsa matter?" he asks, his innocent brown eyes staring up into her blue ones.

At his touch and endearing words, Phoebe begins to bawl again. She drops to her knees and grabs Prince to her in a deep hug, hoping she doesn't scare the poor child with her dramatic response. "Oh Prince," she says, her words spilling from her uncontrollably. "I miss my children!" She's sobbing now.

But Prince responds with an emotional wisdom beyond his years and hugs her just as hard back.

She looks up at Michael, worried he's going to be upset with her, but she sees his eyes and face are full of sympathy, and she hears him sniff. He's trying to keep it together for her. "Phoebe," he says, extending his hand. She loosens her hold on Prince and takes his hand, trying to raise up, but Prince has a death grip on her neck.

"Don't cry, Miss Phoebe," he says softly.

"Prince, let Miss Phoebe go for a minute, I want to hug her," Michael says, his voice low, and full of compassion.

"Then me!" Paris says. When Prince releases her Phoebe stands up, and Michael grabs her into a warm, tender embrace, stroking her back with his hand soothingly.

"Michael, I've been such a bad mother! What kind of woman leaves her children alone for two months for a job! A job!" Phoebe gushes into Michael's ear.