F i v e

*I'm not perfect, I'm sensitive about my shit but enjoy guys!*

"Since you're back from your appointment, I thought I could use your help on this case...Lunch is soon."

I blinked, looking up from my 'busy work'. I wasn't great with lying on the spot, my lips parted as if I was going to say something but I quickly shut my mouth, I needed to think about this.

One of her eyebrow raised in a bewildered manner, like she wanted to ask me what was wrong but decided against it. I inhaled deeply, nodding a fast yes.

"So that's a yes?" Ms. Winter questioned, I could tell she was trying to suppress some type of grin.

"That is a yes Ms. Winter..but when we are done reviewing this case file, I need to get back to my own work," I stated sternly, standing to my feet stiffly. I looked around for my bag, tossing my keys and wallet in."Now..where are we going?"

"For lunch? I know this spot..I'll drive and I'll have you back just in time to complete your own tasks Ms. Gardens." She did a curt bow, gesturing to the door. I took my time getting out the door, and getting outside. I didn't bother looking back to see if she was behind me, walking and keeping myself together was already a big enough chore.

"I'm over here," She came to my side, pointing to her car. It was simple, updated but nothing flashy. "I can pull the car up for you?" Alisah muttered in a questioning tone of voice but I knew she was telling me instead of asking. I wasn't going to fight it, her car was half way across the lot and my feet were beginning to ache.

"Okay.." I squeaked lowly, clutching my bag. She jogged down the rest of the stairs and hustled across the parking lot to her car. I turned my head, waiting for her. I shuffled down the stairs just as she pulled up, she unlocked the car door from the inside for me, and I got in.

The ride was awkward but short. She attempted to ask more questions, I answered of course. She played with the radio while under a few red lights, and my anxiety began to kick in but I said nothing, my hands laid neatly in my lap.

"We are here.." She said pressing a button to let up her sun roof, rolling up the windows before cutting the engine.

"Well, where are we?" I was a little hesitant to get out, but still I unbuckled my seat belt and cracked my door. She didn't answer me, instead she walked to my side of the car and pulled open my door. I looked at her, and she looked back at me with those big brown eyes. I shook my head, getting out.

Alisah lead us into an alley way, on our left was door that was randomly placed. She tossed me a look of excitement before knocking. An older lady in a hair net and apron appeared.

"Alisah! You been too busy to visit? Went to Chicago and forgot about your folk.." The lady leaned down, wrapping her arms around Alisah, hugging her. I stood there, smiling at their embrace. Love radiated off of them. "And who's this?" She to pried, with a playful smirk.

"This is a Co-worker, Babylon Gardens, Babylon this is my Aunty and owner of Tammy's kitchen..one of the oldest soul food restaurant in town.." Alisah spoke proudly, and her Aunt basked in her words.
I offered my hand, and she took it quickly with a shake.

"Nice to meet you dear, y'all come and and I'll set y'all up with a lil' table.." When her Aunt Tammy pulled the door open more it reveled a fully furnished restaurant with beautifully painted works of black art. Alisah took her hand into mine, I didn't even notice because I was consumed in the decor of the place. A few people occupied some tables, but it wasn't overcrowded.

Alisah stopped in front of a booth and slide in, I followed but sat across from her. I took off my bag, placing it next to me before meeting her gaze.

"You like?" She wore a pleasant expression, sitting back. I nodded my head, stifling a coy smile.

For our hour lunch break we smiled, laughed and ate..forgetting to do the main thing we set out to do, but I wasn't bothered by that.
I sighed, sitting back in the booth filled with fried fish, mash potatoes and other southern goodies. I found out for a period in Tammy's life she lived in Jackson, Mississippi and that's where she acquired her cooking skills. When we were finished Aunty Tammy came by, collecting our plates and giving us two containers of key lime pie to take back with us. I started to stand, and A loud crack sounded from my back, filling the air around us. From the picture on my face Alisah could tell I was in pain, but I did my best to mask it.

"Take a seat." She ordered, and I rolled my eyes.
"I am fine.." I started to argue, taking a step at time until I was down from the leveled booth. "Let's get back to the firm please." I spoke, from my tonality you could hear that I wasn't in the mood to fight, but I didn't need help or pity, just a ride back to work. She moved to my side, grabbing the food and my bag.

"You obviously are in pain, but we'll go. We have enough time for you to relax but if we must rush.."

*Authors note:

Ain't Babylon stubborn? Smh. Well I'll end the chapter here because for the next chapter or so I want to get moree into Babylon's life, ya know her health and mental condition and stuff.

If you have any questions about the story or need me to clear anything up comment or you could always private message me! :)

Find me on social media
Snapchatty - yungsoul00
Twitter/Tumblr: Afilosophy
Insta: Tsunami.Afi