Dreams of Stars Part 6

Kaelin tore through the mossy, darkening forest, stumbling over boulders as she went. She didn't know where she was going, but she knew she had to go somewhere, and fast. She had to find some way to get to the stars, or at least someone to point her in the right direction. She was running out of time.

Before long, the sun had completely set, and the stars were out. Emerging from the forest into a grassy clearing, Kaelin allowed herself to collapse beside a wooden fence, her dirty, white cotton dress falling like a cloud around her. Gasping for breath, she stretched out her hand toward the stars above her. She had wanted to reach them before, as a romantic notion, but now she needed to reach them. She wished they would just come down to her.

As she lay there, Kaelin began to cry openly, a high wail escaping her. Big tears rolled down her olive-colored cheeks and across her temples, wetting her black hair. This was all too much, too hopeless. What would she do?

A soft, bell-like chirp reached her ears, but Kaelin didn't notice it until the source came fluttering down from the fence and landed beside her head. All at once, she stopped crying, staring with wide eyes at the slim, dark green cricket. The cricket was wearing a little suit and tie, and it carried a black umbrella under its arm. It stood on its two hind legs and stared up at her with big, black eyes. The look in those eyes almost seemed to be one of compassion.

"Hallo there," Kaelin said softly, sitting up and blinking away her tears.

"Wh-why...are you crying?" the cricket stammered in reply, sounding as if it was testing its voice. Its voice reminded Kaelin of someone, but she couldn't think who.

She stared in amazement. "You can talk?" she gasped.

"I-I suppose I can," the cricket said.

"That's wonderful!" Kaelin exclaimed.

"Yes, I suppose it is—but...why are you crying?" the cricket asked again cautiously, "Has someone...died?"

Kaelin lowered her eyes. "No, no one's died yet. But my mother is dying of a curse, and Rumpelstiltskin told me I needed stardust to break it. I have to find a way to go up to the stars and get it, but I don't know how to reach the stars."

"I can help you," the cricket said promptly, "That is, f-for a while at least. I'm searching for someone, but I don't know where he is. Perhaps while we're searching for a way to the stars, I'll be able to find him."

"Yes, please come with me!" Kaelin begged, "I need help!"

"Of course. I must help you," the cricket said, looking down for an instant, "A-and I want to. I want to help you save your mother!"

"Thank you so much!" Kaelin said, "But, what's your name? I'm Kaelin."

"My name..." the cricket hesitated, glancing away again, "I...d-don't have a name. I'm a cricket."

"Why, then, I'll give you a name," Kaelin said, "I'll call you...Archie."

"Archie?" the cricket laughed.

"Don't you like it? I like that name."

"Yes, I suppose I do like it," the cricket said, smiling as much as a cricket could smile, "Yes, you can call me Archie."

Kaelin cupped her hands together and held them out to Archie. Understanding what she meant, he fluttered up and landed in them. Then Kaelin stood up. "I think we should go now," she said, "The stars only come out at night, so we can sleep during the day if we have to."