Dreams of Stars Part 11

After a very exhausting day of moving and cleaning, Bridget arrived at Dr. Hopper's office with Mother Superior in the late afternoon. All that day, her mind had been completely occupied with how Archie would react to what she had done, and she had only grown more apprehensive as her appointment drew nearer. Now, standing in front of his door, she could only do her best to hide her anxiety, and knock.

Archie swung open the door rather swiftly, glanced from Bridget to Mother Superior with a short smile and nod, then stepped to one side to let Bridget in. Taking her leave of Mother Superior, Bridget went inside and sat down on the couch with her head lowered. She felt like she was at the principal's office.

She reminded herself again of Sister Astrid's words: He'll appreciate it. He may be upset now, but he'll appreciate it...

Archie did not sit down. Putting his hands in his pockets, he lifted his chin slightly and spoke briskly: "Bridget, today there's something that I would like to talk to you about first."

Bridget nodded slightly, unable to come up with any words.

"What did Mr. Gold tell you to do?" Archie asked directly. There wasn't any anger in his voice yet, but the tension in the room could be cut with a knife.

"I'm..." the answer was stuck in Bridget's throat, "...I'm to...work for him for a year in exchange for the extension he gave you for your rent."

"Did he ask you to pay it too?"

"No, sir, I did that myself," Bridget mumbled.

"I told you not to make a deal with him." Archie's chin twitched, and he blinked rapidly a few times. "I told you I would figure it out myself."

"I know. I'm sorry," Bridget mumbled, ashamed.

"You're sorry?" Archie cried, his voice rising to a shout, "Bridget, th-this is ridiculous! This is way beyond ridiculous! I never asked for any of this! And now you—you're like a bondservant to him! For my sake! This is worse than being evicted!"

"I...only wanted to help you..." Bridget faltered.

"Why? Why me? You're a fool, Bridget!" He turned away, took a few stumbling steps with his hand pressed over his mouth, then suddenly came and sat beside her on the couch. With his arms on his knees, he held his hands palm-up and shook them imploringly. "I-I don't deserve this!" he choked out, and Bridget could see the tears in his eyes.

"I thought—"

"You should have thought better!" Archie stood up abruptly, angry again.

"I'm sorry," Bridget repeated quietly. She had spent all that day imagining what she would say to him, but now she couldn't remember any of it. All she could do was apologize.

"I don't think you're really sorry," Archie scoffed.

Bridget began to cry helplessly. "No, I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I really am..."

"Did you think I would be happy about this?!"

"No, but...do you really think it's worse than being evicted? I didn't do it for me; I did it for you, so if this is even worse for you, I..." she covered her face with her hands, "I'm really sorry! A-all this week, I thought I was doing something good, I was working hard...toward a goal. I even felt determined and hopeful, like in my dreams...but...now? I'm just ashamed! I shouldn't have done it! I shouldn't have done this to you! I'm sorry!" Unable to restrain herself, she sobbed all the more. Sister Astrid's encouraging words to her were forgotten, and she was sure she had made the biggest mistake of her life.