Dreams of Stars Part 22

The years that passed in Francesco's workshop were, to Kaelin Mouse, painful in a wholly different way than her years in the orphanage. Geppetto proved himself to be a quick leaner at woodworking, and he was soon doing real work as Francesco's apprentice, taking on more and more responsibilities. However, the presence of puppets in the workshop created problems for both Geppetto and Jiminy. It was a constant reminder of what had happened between them so many years ago.

Geppetto was serious and calm before Francesco—which often frustrated the old woodworker, who was a merry and eccentric soul. Not understanding the reasons behind Geppetto's fear of puppets, he would sometimes tease Geppetto with them just to get a reaction. Geppetto remained silent and refused to say a word to Francesco about his past, but he wept silently at nights. For long hours, he wept, and sometimes he raged against Jiminy Cricket.

Jiminy was faring even worse. While Geppetto at least had success in his career, Jiminy simply sank to deeper and deeper levels of shame. The sight of the workshop's puppets caused him to have nervous breakdowns. It had been worthless, worthless to become a cricket, he would say. He still could do no good, and worse, he no longer knew what his conscience was telling him.

Kaelin felt completely helpless as she watched her friends fading away. She didn't know what to say to them, and she was too weak to do anything much. All she could do was be present, and she didn't know how her mere presence could do anything when her words and actions failed her entirely. She sat on Geppetto's shoulder, but couldn't help with his work. She listened to Jiminy, but couldn't give advice. She was supposed to be the strong one, but she cried as much as Geppetto and broke down as often as Jiminy.

One night, overcome with frustration at her helplessness, Kaelin chewed through the puppets' strings. The puppets—which seemed to cause Geppetto and Jiminy so much grief. She hated them. But Francesco blamed Geppetto and was angry with him. Kaelin, under solemn orders from Geppetto not to speak in front of other people, was unable to defend him. Geppetto falsely confessed to clipping the strings, keeping his "pet mouse" from getting in trouble, but later he was angry with Kaelin. Understanding that Kaelin only wanted to help, his anger melted into confusion, which again melted into tears. Kaelin felt she had made a horrible mistake. However awful doing nothing was, it was better than doing something.

One winter, when Geppetto was 22 years old, Francesco's heart failed, and he died. It was expected. From the day they met, Francesco had been training Geppetto to take over the workshop when he died. He had been very old even then, and Geppetto was an investment in his trade. During those four years, Francesco had grown rapidly weaker, and this winter was harsh. Despite all these warning signs, Francesco's death came as a terrible shock to Geppetto. He had begun to think of the old man as an odd father or grandfather, so losing him was, in a way, like losing his parents all over again.

Taking over the workshop, however, came quite naturally to Geppetto. Because of Francesco's failing health, he had already taken over most of the responsibilities. All that was left was to claim ownership. That was quite easy to do, since Francesco's will contained only two sentences: "Give the workshop to Geppetto. And don't squabble." The will made Geppetto laugh with tears in his eyes—it was so like Francesco. Once he had ownership of the workshop, however, he burned all the puppets. Though he hated them and wanted to get rid of them, he couldn't watch as they burned. Something about it was like burning his parents, and that was too horrifying to think of.

Finally, when Geppetto was 27, a light came into his life. That light warmed Kaelin too, and it even reached Jiminy with the happiness it spread. That light was Sofia.

On that day, Sofia came bouncing into the shop like a ray of sunshine, her basket slung over her arm and her apron dirty from work. Her round, smiling cheeks were freckled and burnt with sun, and her brown eyes twinkled under long, dark lashes. Clearly a peasant woman, she was almost in her 30's as well and worried about becoming an old maid. Yet Geppetto loved her instantly. She took such an interest in Kaelin that she almost forgot what she came for. Then she talked all the while as she picked out wooden cups and plates, placing Kaelin on her shoulder as though she was her own pet mouse.