Prologue

"Louis!"

Louis turned his head just in time to see his friend yelling and waving his arms madly, trying to get his attention. He watched confused to why his friend was freaking out so much.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Louis yelled back concerned if Harry needed help with something. When he said this, however, something rushed by him nearby in the bushes. He glanced that way for a second, seeing nothing, before turning his attention back to his panicking friend.

"Louis! Hurry!" Harry was running toward Louis now.

That's when Louis started to realize that something wasn't right. Harry was never the one to get like this. He was always so calm and laid-back for an eight year old, never like this. His heart started to race faster as his friend got closer. He wanted to run but he couldn't. He was frozen in fear. He was starting to wish he knew what was happening that is causing Harry to get so worked up, but then a growl emitted out from behind him.  

I halted and watched as they pulled the boy down.

I watched as they bite and nip at the Louis' clothes trying to find an opening to dig into.

I watch as the first signs of blood drips onto the snow staining it a crimson color.

He made no move to scream or fight back. He just lies there gazing up upon the tops of the trees in silence and they try to feast on him as their hunger grows by the taste of warm fresh blood in their mouths. 

Then, slowly, Louis turns his head to the side. His eyes that were slowly glazing over met mine. A single tear fell from his bright blue eyes. The same blue eyes with I have known for over a year. The ones that always had this shine to them no matter what.  That shine was gone now and was replaced by empty orbs of what they were. They were broken at such a young age and that broke something inside me.

Suddenly, a low grumble of a growl sounds loudly throughout the area, cause all the wolves to halt their movements and look up.  At me. I had no idea where it came from but it seemed to be working. I slowly started to walk forward once more watching as they took steps backwards away from my friend.

There were a couple of snarls of protest but I stare them down, looking for a challenge, until they lower their heads and back away in defeat.

Standing taller, I ran the rest of the way over to Louis and threw myself next to him. I kneel over him, not stopping the tears from falling from my face as I watched my best friend struggle to breathe below me. I should've gotten help but I couldn't have left him like this.

"Louis!  I'm sorry! I'm so so sorry!"

"Oh no! No no no!"

I hear from far off in the distance. I turn my head and see his mom run this way. She immediately took out her phone to call for help as she sprinted over. She dropped to her knees beside me and tried to push me away from her injured son. I resisted and tried to hold on but I was only eight. She succeeded in prying me away and left me there as she picked up her son and took him back to the house where his father was waiting for them. I made no move to follow and just sat there and watched. 

That was the last time I saw my best friend.

"Louis, sweetie, it's time to come in."

Louis turns his head away from the woods and sees his mother standing in the doorway waiting for him to enter the house. He has only been out here for three hours and he feels as if it hasn't been enough. He hasn't seen the wolves at all today and he wants to stay out later to see if maybe they would come around.

"Louis?" His mom calls again. "It's time for dinner"

It was then that Louis realized the sun had just gone down leaving the sky a dark-ish purple color. Maybe he has been out here longer than he first thought.

"Okay mum." Louis states with a sad sigh. No wolves today. He gets up from his spot on the ground at the edge of the woods and walks toward the house, occasionally glancing back at the woods, not wanting to miss a chance of seeing a shadow in the woods. He made it into the cool air-conditioned house a lot slower than his mom wanted which caused her to frown at him before heading back to the kitchen. He follows her, not because he wants to get a head start on dinner but because the kitchen window has a nice view of the woods behind the house.

He probably stood there, completely still and barely blinking, for a good five minutes before his mother groans and gently pushes him away from the window so she could get to the sink.

"Really Louis?" She said as she turned on the faucet. "You can't go minute without looking into those woods?"

Louis said nothing and sat down at the table which was ready set for dinner. He leaned his elbow on the counter and rested his head in his hand as he waited for everyone else to join him at the table. Every once in a while, he catches himself sneaking glances out the window. He didn't know why he was so obsessed with the woods but every time looks or even thinks about the them he gets this calming sensation that washes over him. He just feels drawn to the woods... Or what was in them.

---------------------------

Was it good? I personally think it's okay!!! And it's not often that I think my writing is good. And if you see and errors... I may fix them later so don't be afraid to correct me... My lovely ghost readers!

I'm very excited about this book!

~Mikayla <---- No Pig Latin this time!!!

''''''''''~~~~~~~~~~~~''''''''' 

I edited it!

 Now I hopefully have no more fear of uploading again. 

I hope you like the new version. It took me awhile to come up with a new prologue. It changes the plot somewhat so I will now have to edit the other chapters!

...Yay...

~ (The Future) Mikayla