Chapter 3

Louis couldn't help but feel that this was all very familiar to him.

When it's growl faltered a bit, Louis almost breathed out a sigh of relief. He knew he was still in possible danger but he felt reassured that he had a chance of making it out alive. He took that time to shuffle as far back as he could from the small opening. He brought his knees closer to his chest almost making it to where he could barely breathe. His breath came out in shivers as he tried to quiet down and contain his fear but he couldn't help it as it was almost dead silent outside now. The rain had lightened up a bit allowing him to hear more. He knew better than to stick his head out but he almost convinced himself to slip out and take off running. But that would've been stupid considering how much he failed at anything athletic. And the fact that it was a wolf which was literally 20 times faster than he ever would be. He probably would passed out in pure exhaustion only a couple minutes after starting.

Suddenly, a different sound found his ears. It was a soft sound, barely even there. It was the sound of soft footsteps approaching. Getting closer every second. Every second. Until they finally stopped. Stopped directly outside the opening.

Louis' eyes widened as he noticed a slow movement outside. A muzzle entered the small alcove, almost hesitantly. He saw the nose move as if it was sniffing for him, scenting him. Louis shrunk down, trying to make himself as small as possible. It has been so long since he has been this close to a wolf and it wasn't a good encounter.

Louis couldn't stop a small whimper from leaving his lip when he saw the nose getting uncomfortably close to him and winced at the sound. The muzzle seemed to pause for a moment before slowly backing out. Louis let out the breath he didn't know he was holding. He thought it was finally over but, of course, he was wrong. The muzzle entered again but this time, the whole head followed.

That was when Louis noticed something. As their eyes met, he saw a gentleness in its eyes. Something Louis saw before. His thoughts zoomed back to the last time he was this close to a wolf. Those eyes. His thoughts then went back to years ago, when he was nine.

It was him. That scent came from him. The little boy. Glassy bright blue eyes.

Time seemed to pass in slow motion as they just stared at each other. It seemed to drag on as rain still pelted down outside. Louis didn't know what to do. He feared if he made one wrong move, the wolf would snap and jump on him.

So Louis timidly brought a hand up. He was shaking worse than before but this time, not from the cold. He had picked up his hand and was hesitantly moving it closer to the wolf, waiting for it to pull away or growl and bite his hand off. But it didn't. And it didn't seem to have any intentions of doing so as it just sat there, staring right back at Louis. He never planned on touching him but it was like he couldn't control himself. His hand was just about to touch the wet fur of the wolf's muzzle when it let out a huff before backing away.

   That upset Louis quite a bit. He realized it was a bit improbable that the wolf was going to let him touch him but he still was still hopeful. But it was false hope. Louis then became aware of the fact that he had relaxed a little during that time. His fear wasn't completely gone but it was good to know that the wolf wasn't going to hurt him. Yet.

After a moment or two he heard a bit of shuffling around outside and was immediately curious. He didn't want to peek out again... But he did. His head peeked out just in time to see the wolf lie down in a bed of leaves right outside the cave. That confused him greatly. It seemed as it was no longer threatened by him. From what he knew, a wolf is in its most vulnerable state when it lays down. Considering it could easily be pinned and its stomach and throat are exposed.

Louis sat back and wondered on what he should do. Should he stay here and try to ignore the wolf's presence? He knew that would be impossible though and this was literally what Louis wanted. To see the wolves again after three years.

So it would be stupid if Louis said he wouldn't take this chance...

He closed his eyes tightly and sighed, trying to calm his beating heart. Yeah, he was extremely nervous but he didn't want that to stop him. He really didn't want to back out and never get a chance like this again, even if it meant risking it.
He edged his way, slowly, out of his temporary shelter and winced once the forceful wind hit his face. He shivered and stood up trying to hold in the groans that were threatening to escape his lips. His muscles were sore and stiff from the cold and being squeezed in such a small place which made it twice as hard to move. When Louis finally managed to actually get moving again, that's when his common sense started to kick in.

What as he suppose to do?
He couldn't just walk up to the wolf, could he?
And what would he do after he approached it?

Louis glanced back at the wolf, noticing it's attention was now fully back on him. It was staring at him with this odd look, as if it was waiting to see what Louis' next move would be. The wolf looked as if it go straight from its relaxed form to defensive if he were to try anything. As if Louis would try something against a wolf. But Louis was no longer moving. He was way too afraid to make another move.

But the wolf seemed to have understood his motive. So it got up and started to make its way over but something else caught Louis' attention. The wolf... Was limping.

The wolf stopped a couple meters away,  as if hinting that if Louis wanted to he would have to complete the distance. Louis wanted to. He really did, but he could no longer feel his legs. His knees were locked up completely. It was then that he was realizing how much he was shivering and the ice that started to form on his skin and all around him. He was going to pass out from the cold.

Has time gone by that fast? Was it already almost morning? That was pretty much his last complete thought before his body seemed to shut down. His mind just blanked out and his hands stayed limp to his side. He couldn't move anymore. He couldn't move anything anymore. His vision went blurry for a moment before it went fully black. He didn't know what was happening but he didn't have time to feel fear as he fully lost consciousness.

My poor poor human.
I watch as he falls to the ground. He was so weak. I could sense it from so far away. I wanted to curl up next to him to keep him warm and protect him, but I knew that if the pack were to find us, we both would be dead.

But it was too late...

She jumped out of the underbrush on the opposite side of the clearing. She had a determined look in her eye. She inched closer toward my human, not once taking her eyes off of me. But I just stood there. She's the alpha female. She never liked me. I never liked her.

I started growling at her. The closer she got, the louder I growled, but she wasn't fazed by me. She has the whole pack by her side and I was weak and injured. If I were to try and fight her, I would not succeed. So I did the only possible option at the moment.

-----------------------------------

THANK YOU all so much for all of the comments and support. Believe it or not, you all actually help so much!

I began and deleted this chapter around 10 times because each time I couldn't get it interesting.

It still didn't turn out the way I wanted it to but I couldn't keep you guys waiting any longer.

~Mikayla<3

P.S. I just love you all so much I just want to hug you all to death!

Was that too much?