Chapter 5

Louis paced back and forth in front of the entrance of the alcove. He ran his finger through his hair as he tried to think of a plan to get back home. He was both starving and filthy which didn't help his situation the slightest. He wondered if he should just start walking in a direction and hope to make it to some type of civilization. The chance of that happening was pretty slim at the most part. He then thought of his other option... Asking the wolf? Louis still found it strange how the wolf seemed to understand him before. Maybe it was not his words he said but it was his body language he portrayed when he said it that helped the wolf understand what he wanted.

Louis glanced at the wolf who was sitting off to the side watching him, head tilted in curiosity. It didn't seem to be understanding him now. He could try talking to the wolf. It's not like anyone would ever know.

Louis hesitated, stopping his pacing. The wolf seemed noticed his change of movement and instantly became alert. It stood up and and looked around as if searching for danger. After a moment, it didn't sense anything and sat back down to gazed almost confused at Louis as if wondering what made him stop. The wolf's reaction only justified his conclusion from before that the wolf must've only understood him through his body language.

Louis shook his head at himself, finally realizing that he's going crazy out here. He wasn't used to not being around other humans this long, which lead him to thinking about talking to a wolf. A freaking wolf. 

Wait... A wolf...

His past memories started to filter to his head uncontrollably. Memories of his mom standing over him crying over the phone. Memories of the two younger versions of his sisters being held back by his father trying to shield them from the sight of their bloody brother. He remembered the pain that seemed to have come out of nowhere as soon as he entered the warm house. It was a very frantic day and he had to spend a week in the hospital before he was stable enough to walk again. He remembered walking into his house the day he was let out from the hospital and the smell of fresh cookies and cake his family made to celebrate his return. The smiles on his sisters' faces made him forget the days he was in the hospital and put them in the past. He was only nine but he felt as if that happening to him was only an early wake up call that life won't be easy but as long as you have someone who has your back you can get through almost anything. But there was something that seemed to be missing from this memory. He felt like he forgot an important detail but he didn't know what.

Louis was suddenly jolted from his thoughts when he felt something nudge his hand. It was then that he realized that he had sat down during some point and put his head in his hands, breathing fast. He looked up and saw that the wolf was standing merely inches away from him. Its eyes that gazed at him seemed almost... concerned. The wolf's presence seemed to help him calm down a bit and made Louis realize that maybe it did understand him a little. He smiled when he realized he could communicate with the most beautiful creature on Earth. He then wondered if other wolves could understand him. What if he was the only one who the wolves could understand? 

    The answer to that was most likely no considering he was only human and there were plenty of other humans in the world but he didn't let that kill his mood as he reach out once more like he did before. This time the wolf didn't move away from his touch. If anything it leaned closer. This put a smile on Louis' face as he placed his hand carefully upon the wolf's head. He tried not to get too excited as he didn't want to startle the wolf. He didn't know if it was just his excitement or the fact the wolf relaxed and sat down in front of him that caused him to do it but he did.  He began to talk to the wolf as he scratched its ears.

"Why are you letting me do this?" Louis muttered quietly with the small smile still present on his face. "You should have eaten me already. I wouldn't be surprised if you randomly decide to. I know I would taste amazing." He let out a small laugh before dropping his hand from the wolf's head. He sat there waiting to see how the wolf would react.  It whined and moved its head down to nuzzle his hand. Louis took the hint and placed his hand back on the wolf's head.