Chapter 2

It started to rain not long after. He didn't remember the forecast saying it would rain today but with his luck, he wasn't surprised. He wrapped his arms around him, shivering, trying to conserve as much warmth as he could manage as he walked on in the direction he thought was home. He thought.

Louis didn't make it too far before he tripped and fell into an oddly deep puddle. He was taken by surprise and started to panic which caused him to take in a couple huge disgusting mouth fulls of muddy water. It felt like forever but Louis finally found a grip and quickly sat up, coughing and gagging. He sat there a moment trying to regain his breathe before he gained the strength to stand up. Once he successfully stood up, he sighed in relief. He took a large step forward to try and get out of the water but the muddy ground slid underneath his fret causing him to fall once more. With a sigh of defeat, Louis got on his hands and knees and crawled out of the 'puddle'. He pulled himself to a nearby tree and stopped to rest. He was already exhausted.

He leaned his head against the tree, panting, as the rain pelted down harder. He hated the rain. It always put depressing thoughts in his head and that was the last thing he needed if he wanted to get home safe. Of course he couldn't stop those thoughts from circling his mind every once in a while.

What if I'm lost?
What if I never make it home?
What if I die out here? Alone...

His thoughts were cut short when he heard the unmistakable rumble of thunder. Louis jumped up quickly, ignoring the protests of his sore legs. He could tolerate the rain, but thunderstorms were a different story. He squinted up to try and glance in between the tops of the trees to see if he could tell what time of day it was but of course it was a futile attempt since the clouds almost completely blocked out the daylight. It was noticeably growing darker now and Louis knew he didn't have much time left if he wanted to at least find civilization before it grew too dark. He was wasting too much time.

He took off in a direction he thought he was the way he was going at first but now he isn't so sure. It was getting darker quickly which slowed him down quite a bit considering he had a hard time focusing on the ground to make sure he doesn't trip and his surroundings to see if he could spot anything familiar. Not to mention he was freezing. He didn't even feel the rain anymore since he was already soaked head to toe. He was honestly getting very frustrated with himself. If he hadn't lost himself in thoughts a while back at the clearing, he probably wouldn't have been lost right now. But slowly, that frustration turned in to fear as he realized that he was probably completely lost and was most likely headed further into the trees.

Louis turned a full circle before coming to a stop. He obviously didn't know where he was and was left thinking if it was worth it to continue while the storm was getting worse. Maybe he should seek shelter and wait for the storm to pass. This wasn't going to be the first time he was going to spend the night in the woods. He has done it once a few years ago when there was trouble in his home and he wanted to get away. He ended up wandering through the woods a bit and stopped to rest the night in the old cottage he had found. It was early spring, however, so he didn't have to worry much about dangerous animals and annoying bugs. It was actually very calming and helped him figure out solutions the the drama he was going through.

But this was a different situation. The only problem he was going through was searching for a way out of these trees. Louis lost all confidence in finding a way out today around an hour ago. At least he thinks it was an hour. He can't really tell time at the moment.

Searching around, Louis took aware of his surroundings and came across a small alcove in between two large boulders. It was a perfect size and would've successfully sheltered Louis but it was pitch black inside and he has no idea what that darkness held. But when lightening lit up the sky and a huge crack of thunder following after, Louis nearly threw himself in the small cave and bundled up to be as small as he could manage.

It was still very cold in his newfound shelter but at that moment he didn't notice. He was busy watching the rain pour down, as if it was taunting him. As if it was trying to making him cry and seem weaker than he already was. He willed himself to not burst into tears but failed when a single tear slid down his face. That seemed to break the dam because soon tear after tear fell down and he was now sobbing. It has been a almost eight years since he as felt so vulnerable.

And now here he was lost in the woods, in the middle of the night, in a thunderstorm.

The scent? Where did it go?
I pace back and forth trying to pick up the scent once more but the rain had completely masked it.
I step through the mud quietly and expertly leaving no foot prints as I resulted to my last resort.
Hearing.
With perked ears, I wonder through the trees, listening through the sound of the rain.
Slowly, everything seemed to drown out except one peculiar sound didn't belong. It almost sounded like... whimpering? I immediately tense take a couple steps back. What kind of creature can make that sound?
Another wolf?

Louis didn't know how long it had been since he took shelter. He just sat there staring out into the shadows of the woods deep in thoughts. What will he do when day comes? What will he do when the rain stops? He already knew he wouldn't be able to sleep so he gave up on that thought as soon after it entered his mind. But what brought him back to reality was when there was a distant but clear snap of a branch somewhere from outside. Louis froze and held his breath, trying to be as quiet as he can. He didn't want attention from whatever was outside on him. He waited a moment or two in silence but he didn't hear anything else. Maybe he was just hearing things.

To confirm the thought, he cautiously stuck his head out and took a glance around. It was still incredibly dark and Louis knew it was late but for some reason, he could still see a bit. It was difficult but he managed. Once he thought the coast was clear and was about to stuff his head back in, a low menacing growl came from somewhere. Louis' throat closed down on a sudden scream. The small hairs along his neck and arms stiffened in alarm, and he had to force himself to move slowly, so carefully. His eyes slowly inched to the left. The wolf was not far away at all. In his panic, he couldn't gauge the distance, but that really didn't matter at that moment. Its fur was reddish brown, like a chestnut mare and its lips had pulled back from its yellow teeth in a snarl.

His throat convulsed. His mouth was open, and he thought he was trying to say something, but the only sound that came was a strangled moan. It seemed as if two giant fists had clamped around his chest and squeezed. He inched back a bit, then stopped when the wolf's deep rumble grew louder. It's going to kill me...

I could sense it's fear from the short distance away. I could since its hesitance.
I took a step forward and pinned my ears back.
"P-p-pl-ease"
My growling immediately faltered at the sound... I felt no longer threatened at the weak sound.
It was a human.

------------------------------------------
Okay... Wow
I didn't really think anyone like this book that much.
That's why I put it off for a bit to work on my other one but it seems that people actually like it... So here's an update
It's a bit short, I admit, but I hope you all enjoyed it!

~Mikayla