Chapter 2: Cleaning up.

As soon as he stepped in the shower, I went back downstairs to the kitchen and the storage rooms. I grabbed a few cans of fruit, not knowing exactly what he liked, and then went off to search for some clothes. I also had no clue what size he was, so I took a guess and grabbed whatever seemed fit. I found a few shirts that may have belonged to the employees that used to work here. I picked out a medium and went to the pants. He looked really skinny, so I picked medium in those too. I couldn't find any underwear. I guess he'd have to wear the ones he had on.

I was about to leave and go back up when I thought of something I hadn't before. He needs something to sleep in. I don't think he'd want to sleep in some slacks and a polo. I went back to the storage room and picked out a black bath robe. I hoped that was enough. I always stayed in the same set of clothes, so I didn't really know much about what he might wanna wear.

I hurried back to the elevator with the clothes and food and pressed the 13. When I got back to the room, the shower was still running. I went to the bathroom door and checked to see if it was unlocked, and it was. I opened it and put the robe on the sink, then I closed it back.

It seemed like forever before he came out again. When he did, he was wearing the black robe and he was completely clean of the muck that had been on his skin. His jet black hair was tousled over to the side and his skin was shining with fresh droplets of water. I think he even shaved, because his stubble was no longer there. Now he looked ten years younger and I wanted to laugh at how weird he looked without his stubble. But I only stared. I don't think I've ever seen a living more beautiful than him.

"Uh, thanks for the robe. It fits really well." He smiled a white smile. It did fit really well. Really...really well.

"You...like fruit?" I pulled one of the cans of peaches I found out of the bag I was carrying.

"You got me food? Aw Tom, you didn't need to do that. That was really nice of you." He took the can of peaches and sat down beside me on the bed. I handed him a can opener and a fork, both of which I already had in my room. I really had too much stuff in here.

He got it open and took the first bite, and he let out a sigh. "Oh my god. It's been so long since I've had actual food like this. All we eat at the camp are protein bars and water."

"What...camp?" I asked.

"The camp where me and my friends live. They offer shelter and protection and all of that stuff. I snuck out with my friends so we could get some real clothes and some real food. Look how that turned out." He shook his head. "I mean, I guess it wasn't a complete failure. I met you. And you seem like a pretty awesome person. You have this cool place all to yourself."

I smiled and fiddled with one of the stuffed bears on the bed. "Thanks."

"I wish I could stay here forever." He laid down on the bed and closed his eyes, cuddling the can of peaches to his side.

"Why...d-don't you?" It was a stupid question. He was alive. He had other things to do.

"I don't know. My friends might get worried. I've known them since before the world ended. They'd be devastated if I didn't show up. Especially Sonja, she's like a sister to me. She told me sneaking out was a stupid idea. God, I don't even know how to get home. They were the ones with a car."

"I'll...get...you home." I didn't want him to go. I wanted him to stay here with me forever. I don't want to be alone again. But I want him to be safe and happy.

He laughed quietly. "The ride down here was two hours long and we were speeding. I don't think you could find my home either, Tom."

I frowned. I wish I knew how to hot-wire a car. Maybe then I could get him home. James always knew about these things. I wish he were here.