Chapter 6: Close Encounters.

Right now, I'm currently hiding behind a deli counter in the mall with Jordan crushed beneath me, gasping for breath like a dying fish. Why are we hiding behind a deli counter in the same cursed mini mall we so stupidly keep going into? Let me tell you why.

During the night Jordan had an asthma attack. It was terrifying, and that was just from my point of view. We had forgotten to get an inhaler twice in a row, which resulted in him not being able to breathe on his own during the night. He handled it well though. He just stepped in the shower with the cold turned on high and took deep breaths. I didn't handle it well at all. I just sat there like an idiot and watched him freak out.

Afterwards after he calmed down, we went straight to the mall. I took the car because I knew he was still on the verge of another attack by the way he was breathing and I didn't what him walking anywhere. The ride here was smooth, the entrance without fault.

Everything else went to hell.

There was a hoard that entered the building no less than thirty seconds after we came in. And it wasn't just a small heard of thirteen, like there had been before. No, this was hoard of one hundred or more dead. I have never once seen a hoard this big. But it's the middle of the night, and I guess I should have expected a hoard to show up.

Before we left the hotel, I didn't cover Jordan's scent. He usually can't stand the smell when he has good breathing, so I figured if I even tried to cover him he'd start to freak out again.

Now were trapped behind a deli counter surrounded by a hundred dead, and they all smell Jordan. I feel like if I move an inch, they'll find out where we are. My smell barely covers him because I don't smell that bad anymore. And he's currently having another asthma attack, so that's great too.

"Shh..." I tried to calm him down. Nothing so far is working, he can't calm down.

He shook his head and clenched his eyes shut. He's trying to be quiet but his breathing is so sharp he can't help but make a little noise. I can hear the dead sniffing the air and snarling at every little sound. We aren't gonna make it out of here. Either he's gonna pass out and die of short breath or he's gonna get eaten. I have to do something to cover up his smell. I looked around for anything sharp that was within arms reach. Nothing. Just a bunch of boxes and canned stuff.

Jordan's getting worse. I can feel him shaking underneath me and he's clutching my hand for dear life. Whatever I can do, I need to do it now.

I can't believe I'm doing this.

I held my free hand up to my mouth and bit it as hard as I could. Oh my god the pain was unbearable. I feel so bad for the poor innocent people I've ripped through with these teeth. This is hell.

The brown disgusting blood slowly began to flow down my hand, and I quickly wiped it on Jordan's neck and cheeks. He tried to squirm away from it, but I wouldn't let him. He'll thank me later. I covered as much as his forehead as possible, because I didn't want to put it near his nose more than necessary. When I finished I smelled him. No trace of a living scent. He's safe.

I quickly rushed off of him and sat him up from the floor. He refused to open his eyes even when I whispered to him that he was safe.

"Jordan...need...to...go." I could barely even hear myself.

He shook his head and clenched his eyes tighter. His breathing was only getting worse and worse.

"Please...love you. Need...help. Get you...help."

"Idontwannadie," he barely wheezed out.

"S-Safe." I pointed out towards the hoard. "Act...dead. Be...okay."