Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Are you sure that's your mom?" Kade asked me.

"I know who my mom is," I replied. We were sitting on the roof talking about Bree/Brittney trying to figure out what was going on. The sun was starting to set and the colorful rays were reflecting off the marble mansion.

"Is Lillianne coming?" Cameron asked.

"She's asking Bree questions to see if she's really Bree Morgan."

Suddenly, Lillianne appeared. "Foley, you're right. I don't know if that's your mom or not, but it definitely isn't Bree Morgan."

Kade looked at me, and then at Lillianne. "So what do we do now?"

"We have to tell Joshua. He needs to know," I said.

"Why is she here?" Cameron asked.

"I saw her researching your powers, nothing about Kevin and Carrie," I added.

"Why would she look into our powers if she has you?"

"She only knows that I can fly and turn invisible, nothing else."

"Why didn't you tell her about your other powers?"

"Because I didn't get the energy powers in the chemical leak. I experimented on myself with the chemicals in my mom's lab."

"You experiment on yourself?" Lillianne asked, clearly surprised. "I was wondering why you needed to take that formula."

"Flying and invisibility are sustained by my body, my energy power is not. I could go without it, but I would go through withdrawal symptoms and then I wouldn't have my energy power after that."

"So you can create powers?" Kade said.

"Not exactly. Well, technically yes. But I don't know what powers I create or even if it will create powers. It took me two years just to get my energy ability."

"How'd you figure out you have the energy ability?"

"I just tried stuff until I found that it worked."

"So, in theory, you could have a whole ton of other powers that you don't even know about?"

I thought for a second. Then I nodded, "Yeah, I guess."

"And you never considered that?"

I shrugged. "Not really. I've tried pretty much everything."

"But what about-"

"Look, if I wanted to talk about this I would've brought it up. I'm trying to figure out if this lady is my mom or not, and either way why she's here. If you guys don't have anything else to contribute, then I'm going to leave."

They looked at me for a minute. "Jeez, Foley," Lillianne said.

"Well this isn't time for Foley to tell her life story," I said. "If you guys aren't serious about solving this problem then I'll go do it by myself."

"Look, Foley, we'd love to help you, but you have to keep calm. We've been going on missions much longer than you, and if you throw yourself right into one, you're going to fail," Lillianne said.

"That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that asking me about my powers is going to get us nowhere. We need a plan."

"Maybe you could do something so Bree sees you, but isn't quite sure if she really saw you, and then she'll go back to your house to see if you're there," Cameron suggested.

"That could work," Kade replied. "Just a quick appearance, and then you turn invisible and come upstairs. Lillianne will teleport you to your house and then come back. You can keep us updated telepathically."

Lillianne nodded. "What do you think, Foley?"

"I guess it could work."

____

I walked down the stairs to the lab, invisible. Once I got near the bottom, I heard Joshua and Bree talking. "Look, Bree, you really don't have to help me clean all this up. You can head home."

"I helped make the mess. I don't want you having to deal with all of it."

I looked around the corner. A lot of vials filled with chemicals were out on the tables. They both were sorting them into cases. "So how's this going to help with solving the problem?" Joshua asked.

"Do you not trust me?" Bree said with a smile.

"How is this going to solve the problem?" Joshua said more authoritatively as he turned to her.

"It depends which problem you're looking at."

"Bree, I need an answer now."

"You seriously still believe that cover? Joshua, I would really hope you would recognize your own sister."

And with that she stabbed a needle into his arm and pushed the plunger down. I watched him gasp and slump to the ground as the life drained out of his eyes. I started moving towards him.

Guys, get down here fast.

I didn't want to do anything until they got down here, just in case.

Guys, where are you?

"Powers don't work in here, Lillianne. I'm surprised you were the only one to be suspicious."

She thought I was Lillianne. She couldn't see me, she just knew I was in here.

"And if you tell anyone, who will take your word over mine?" She smiled. Then she screamed. "Someone help! Please! Joshua, come on, please wake up. Please. Help! There's got to be something around here to fix it."

I heard Cameron running down the stairs, Kade ran through the ceiling and landed on his feet, Lillianne teleported in. This was bad.

"What happened?" Lillianne asked as she ran over. She put her hand on Joshua's arm.

"We were cleaning up, and one of the vials broke. It must've broken skin and got some of the chemicals inside of him." My mom was crying.

"I'm trying to heal him," Lillianne said, clearly straining. "It's not working."

"I'll go get help," Cameron said. He turned and started running. Then he stopped. "Why am I running so slowly?"

I looked at my arm. I was still invisible. How was that possible?

Suddenly the lockdown doors slammed shut and locked. Everyone looked surprised, except my mom.

She smiled and looked at Lillianne, Cameron and Kade. "Oh, Joshua. My problems are almost all gone."