II: "I'll Have It 'Cause I Want It.."

Chapter II

"Blake, here's our next project." My closest friend and my department manager, Bryan, handed me the renovation plans for a printing house. "The owner wants to have a mini bookstore slash library downstairs and on the second floor a printing house."

"Are they planning to expand the space? It looks a little small in perimeter." I asked after studying the renovation plan.

"Well over to the right, slightly since they bought the space."

"You mean by a couple yards?"

"Something like that, you'll see when we get there."

"I was thinking the layout have flaws, can I change some of it?" I asked him another question since the owner already approved the concept.

"You're the architect, no matter what happens your name will be the one they'll praise or criticize. You do what you want, let's go?"

We went on the elevator discussing more of the project in hand. Suddenly, my mouth sealed shut when my father stepped in to join us with a little exchange of hellos. He seems so unnerved of the rumours spreading around about him having a mistress. In fact he seems unaffected at all. 

My jaw clenched at the thought of their long-time marriage ending. My mom is not exactly the epitome of being a mother and because of that I've always been closest to my father the moment I met him. He was my role model growing up so his betrayal just hits hard. I aspired to at the very least, be half the man he is.

And all that just went out the window, I mentally scoffed.

"Blake, don't forget the upcoming yearly conference tomorrow. I'll leave you two now, see you around." He informed me and got off the floor to his office.

"Yes, sir." Bryan replied politely as the door closed. As for me, I intend to ignore his existence.

"Are you seriously going to ignore your dad? Just like that? Not even going to confront him about the sudden appearance of his mistress?" Bryan turned to me as we reached the lobby and parking lot.

"Bryan, I don't want to talk about it." I replied and Bryan respected my request and simply raised his hands in surrender. 

We drove in silence, a really uncomfortable silence that shows tension in the air.

"I just don't want to see my mom get hurt with this. She is not someone I could call a mother exactly but she still kept me around." Her words, not mine. "At the end of the day---" I stopped not knowing what to say. At the end of the day what? At the end of the day, I'm doing this as a way to repay her?

"No Blake, at the end of the day your mom will find out about it and whatever the hell you're doing will come to waste. Just a friendly advice," I stopped the car as we reached our destination and he finished his so called advice before stepping out. "I say you go talk to your dad and end this tension, who knows maybe it really is just a rumour."

"For a man who hates confrontations you're one to speak," I muttered under my breath before stepping out and studied the outside of the small library. It is a little old, based on the outer walls; it needs a touch of expertness. The place isn't bad at all and I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this project, a lot.

We went inside and Bryan started making conversation, putting his businessman talk and charm. As for me, I excused myself and took a tour around the place. If I'll judge the establishment from the outside, I won't expect it to look like this. 

The interior is beautiful, it's amazing and has lots of possibilities to it. If I put a beautiful exterior that would match the interior, this place would be a hit.