IX: "I Told You Everything..."

Chapter IX

"Good afternoon Sandy," I greeted her as soon as I walk in their establishment. "Lunch? Since you wouldn't have dinner with me, here." I offered and put the food down in front of her. 

She smiled at me and said her thanks. "Also, we seem to have a lot of chaperone around so I got some for them as well." I took out another paper bag of take out food and wiggled my eyebrows at her. She laughed and I handed the food to Mr. Guji to take to the other staff. 

I've gotten to know Sandy quite a bit while working on the project. It seems to be a routine of mine now to bring her anything really, in hopes that she would finally agree to go on a date with me. I've also gotten quite close to the staff and some frequent costumers. 

"Thanks again for always bringing lunch every time you'd stop by here." Sandy said as we spend her break time together out here in the second floor patio. "They've come to like you, especially Janine's nieces and nephews. I'm quite surprised actually, I didn't think you'd like children." 

"That makes the two of us, I didn't think I would have the patience to deal with children as well." I replied with a genuine smile on my face. We continued to chat liking the relaxed atmosphere around us which was interrupted by a phone call. 

"Hello?" Sandy answered. Seconds later, her face turned pale and solemn as if humanity is on the brink of extinction. "Yes, thank you. I'll come as soon as I can." She finally said after listening silently for a long time and then ended the call.

"I'm sorry BJ, I have somewhere I need to be at. I'll see you tomorrow." She said hurriedly but I stopped her before she could even exist the door. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked but she stayed quiet. "I'll take you there, for free." I offered and since she doesn't have the energy to argue, she simply nodded her head. 

We arrived outside the city hospital, as soon as the car stopped, she ran out practically leaving me behind. I followed her putting quite a distance between us. She entered a private room and left the door open. I watched her greet an elderly couple with a boy no older than ten. I couldn't see who was lying down the bed since two people were blocking my view. 

"Thank you for coming," I heard the older woman say to Sandy as she leans on her for support. 

"How is he doing?" Sandy asked leading the other woman to a chair and sat beside her. With them gone, I got a glimpse of who was lying down the bed. 

It was a young man, probably around my age, lying unconscious on the bed hooked up on a lot of tubes. I don't know how long he's been lying there, but something tells me he's one of the reasons why she's distant. 

Unable to watch any further, I stepped back and decided to give her privacy and wait for her elsewhere. Hours must have passed by the time Sandy stepped out of the room. She apologized right away for making wait long. Not wanting her to feel guilty, I said that I was the one who insisted on helping her. 

We stayed there outside, silently sitting on the chairs until she finally broke the silence. 

"I grew up with him and his family and they treated me as their own, always have. Even when I am the reason why he's lying there, I'm still family. I was with my him when I got a call from the hospital that my mother is dying and they told me she was asking for me. So I hopped right in the car and drove as fast as I could. I was in a hurry and everything was a blur. Next thing I know I was in the hospital and I was passed out for two days with a nasty bruise and a broken rib. Then there's Ivan, even now he's in coma and it's been two months. They told me I hit a truck when I tried to beat a red light, I'm lucky survived with minor injuries but he wasn't as fortunate." By now, her tears are falling rapidly. Maybe it's for the loss of her mother or for the Ivan's family. I enveloped her with my arms and felt her sob shake me. "I missed my only family's death and I could possibly kill another."

"We didn't have the money to let him live hooked up with all those machine so I made a decision to save him, to keep Ivan alive." She said once her sobbing subsided. 

As to what kind of decision she made, I could only guess. She needed the money, my father has that money. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

"My uncle who's ten years older than me died on his wedding night. We were in a car, he was drunk, we were all drunk and his wife was sitting next to him. I was at the passenger seat and we were very stupid. We drove too fast and we ended up falling off a cliff. We grew up together, he was like the older brother I never had. I was the disappointment, and he saved me from being miserable. My father, though he doesn't say it, I know he blames me for his loss." I found myself opening up to her, telling my secrets before I could stop it. 

"It's not your fault you survived." She sternly said squeezing my arm for comfort. 

"And it's not yours," I turned to look at her straight in the eye wanting her to know the same. 

She smiled then, wiping her tears off her face. "I'm sorry, we've just met and you know everything, I told you everything."

I shook my head and laughed along with her. I can't possibly tell her the same, she doesn't know who I am. Not really. 

"Thank you," she said and stood up to leave. "Let's go, I don't want to waste anymore of your time than I already have."

"I told you already, you don't have to apologize. I willingly offered my help, a thank you would be appreciated." I said smiling at her as I took her hand in mine. 

She seemed to be surprised at my action, but I'm glad she didn't pull away. "Thank you," she mumbled.

"You're welcome," I winked at her and we walked back to the parking lot hand-in-hand.