X: "Have You No Shame?..."

Chapter X

"Are you busy today?" I asked Sandy while she's busy arranging books that are on hold.

"What does it look like genius?" she replied sarcastically.

"I meant after work,"

"No, not really." She mumbled a reply

"Have dinner with me," I suggested once again.

"BJ, for the hundred and sixtieth time no." she rejected with a sigh. Okay, I admit I asked her out over and over again and over and over again she turned me down but hey I'm not giving up. Not yet anyways.

"Impressive, you actually counted the times you rejected me." I commented and she gave me a weird look as if saying you would know?

"Believe me, I know because I was counting too." I answered her questioning look and with that being said, she turned her attention away.

For the past thirty minutes that I've been standing here behind her annoying her, she only looked at me twice. Twice, that's all. Perhaps it's because she's mad at me, either that or she's embarrassed. I decided to stay silent for a while just to see how awkward the silence will be between us and guess what? It's more awkward than an awkward turtle.

"Sandy, everyone's going home can you close the library for us?" Janine, her co-worker, asked unexpectedly out of nowhere. I didn't even hear her footsteps approach. Some ninja skills she got there.

"Sure Auntie, you should be home resting around this time. Don't worry about me I can manage." Sandy politely responded and smiled back to Janine. I was wondering when will she acknowledge my presence and a second later she did.

"You take care of our Sandy, Architect," she entrusted Sandy to me and left without a backward glance. We heard the front door open and closed with a click of the lock. At first I had the urge to panic at the thought of being locked inside the library but I noticed that Sandy have the keys with her so I'm all good.

"So it's just you and me huh," I finally said breaking the silence between us. She looked at me directly in the eye which didn't last for more than a second or two and rolled her eyes.

"Oh joy," she responded dryly.

I chuckled at her response and took a seat on one of the comfy sofas which is a good ten feet away from her. I slouched and rested my head against the back of the couch and closed my eyes. It felt good to sit down and relax after a long day's work. Add some personal stress with my work stress and you'll get a very exhausted version of me which is how I'm feeling right now.

I wasn't planning on falling asleep but I guess I did just that. I felt a single finger outlining my jaw, my nose and my lips. I quickly snapped my eyes open and caught the hand with my own. I expected a serial killer to be mere inches in front of me and exchanging pants with me but I was surprised to see a set of very familiar brown eyes. The same eyes that held me captivated the eyes that belong to Sandy.

We remained in that compromising position for a long time, neither of us wanted to move away. When she finally couldn't take my stares any longer, she cleared her throat and snatched her hand away.

"I was trying to wake you up, we need to get out of here." She explained with her back against me once more and walked ahead. I quickly followed after her after a few stretches and was greeted by a heavy rain outside. My car is about ten running steps away from where I'm standing at, if I make a run for it I won't get that wet.

"Damn," I heard Sandy cursed under her breath and turned to her wondering if she drives a car.

"Do you need a ride?" I asked and somehow this feels like a déjà vu only this time she would definitely say yes.