XXII: "For the Time Being..."

Chapter XXII

The next series of events weren't pleasant. My mother's outburst and public humiliation of Sandy, false accusations as they were, turned most of her co-workers against Sandy, except a few ones who really knew her. 

It frustrates me that she's not even trying to clear her name and I can't do anything about it but respect her silence. Especially since she makes it a point to ignore me and pretend nothing happened between us. 

So today is my only chance to have a chat with her and straighten things out. I want to at least have a closure so the two of us can get this through properly without any hatred and hung ups from the past. At least, that's what I want. Maybe she wants me dead alongside my mother.

I sat down nervously with my father's attorney in the room, my mom still refused to get out her room and attend matters she needs to attend so it's just me and Sandy who's going to finally hear what Arnold's last will and testament says. I'm not nervous because of what Arnold possibly wrote, I'm nervous because any minute now Sandy can walk in the door.

Another minute pass before the door finally opened and Sandy walked right in. She barely recognized my existence and we went straight away to business.

"Arnold Jacobs left all his share holds to you Mr. Jacobs along with the rest of his foreign investments." Mr. Andrews named everything one by one and left me flabbergasted. All those mentioned were his business properties and it shows that he trusts me to keep his legacy running in the business world.

"To Ms. Sandy Mendiola, he left a trust fund of two hundred million dollars and the house she currently resides in. He stated that the money will be legally hers whether she accepts it or not." A look of surprise passed her face at the mention of the great sum of money. Somehow I felt guilty for taking a greater part of Arnold's fortune than Sandy. I have no right considering I'm adopted.

"Everything that was not mentioned are left to his wife, Mrs. Jacobs along with the rest of the money in his personal bank accounts."

The meeting was concluded and Sandy immediately rushed out of the door before I had time to stop her. I watch her leave using a car and that surprised me since I know her fear of driving again. What made her change my mind?

I left Mr. Andrews office and hurriedly followed Sandy. I rang her doorbell countless times before she actually opened the door and let me in. She looked annoyed and pissed off at my persistence but I'm determined to have this talk. 

"What?" she snarled.

"Aren't you inviting me in? Well I can just stand here and talk to you then." I looked around me to make a point. 

"Alright, you can come in." She conceded and stepped aside to let me in.

I closed the door shut behind me and felt my nervousness once again. I rarely feel this emotion but I always do when I'm around Sandy. "I know I shouldn't be here," I started out but paused. She turned her head to look at me and I stared directly into her eyes. "But I also know that I can't just leave things the way they are."

"I love you Sandy," I declared and finally found the courage to turn and face her.

"It's not that simple," she replied forlornly. "Our situation that is."

"I know."

"I don't think it'll ever be the same."

"I know," I agreed sadly knowing fully well that it's over. I stayed silent for a while battling against myself on whether I should tell her what I promised Arnold. In the end, the go tell her voice won. "Before Arnold died, I made a promise."

"What promise?"

"I promised him that you'll never suffer again."

"In life, there's always suffering, you just have to learn how to deal with it."

Her statement shushed me up. What the heck do you say to that? Touché? "I guess nothing I say or do will change your mind."

"I'm sorry, for everything." She refused to say anything. She just stood there with her back facing me making it impossible for me to even see what her reactions were. 

"I'm leaving and I won't be back for a while." I felt like an idiot standing there waiting for her so I made a move towards the front door. I barely moved an inch before she finally said something.

"When are you coming back?" she asked softly. Her voice made me stop, she sounded broken, hallow, crying. I approached her slowly, each step taking me closer and closer until she's just a meter away.  I grabbed her shoulders and felt it shook that confirmed my suspicions.

"Sandy," she didn't comply. 

"Sandy look at me," I pleaded and she quickly turned around burying her face against my chest. She cried and cried and cried endlessly wailing like a baby. Somehow, her actions gave me comfort; comfort that I wasn't the only one in anguish.

"Don't leave," she cried out. "Don't leave me."

I stayed silent discerning the situation and I came to a conclusion. It has to be done this way or else we'll both be miserable forever. "You know I have to. After all that has happened, do you honestly think that we'll be happy together?"

"No," her expected reply came and broke my heart, our hearts.

I pulled away from her and rested my forehead against hers. I kissed her tears away but that only made her cry harder. "Some people are meant to fall in love together but aren't meant to be together," I said remember Gabriel's words. 

"For the time being," I added, giving both of us hope that one day it might be.

"Promise me you'll come back," she stared at my eyes silently hoping, silently praying.

Unwilling to make another promise I don't know if I could keep, I simply nodded my head without saying the words.

Then she kissed me, as if she understands my inner turmoil.

Softly, tenderly, lingering.

"Goodbye BJ."