6. You Must Love Me

Chapter Six || You Must Love Me

"In this strange labyrinth how shall I turn?
   Ways are on all sides while the way I miss:
   If to the right hand, there, in love I burn;
   Let me go forward, therein danger is;
If to the left, suspicion hinders bliss,
  Let me turn back, shame cries I ought return,"
~ Sonnet 77 by Lady Mary Wroth

~*~

"I am perhaps indiscreet, but only love is capable of working such a miracle, of causing such a drastic transformation. Two years ago we heard Christine Daaé in her competition at the conservatory and she gave us charming hope. What is the origin of the sublime talent she had today? If it did not come down from heaven on the wings of love, I must believe that it came up from hell and Christine Daaé, like Ofterdingen the mastersinger, had made a pact with the devil! Anyone wh-"

The door across from my office slammed shut, causing me to jump and crumple the newspaper article in my hands. 

I looked at the ball of paper in my open palm like it was some cursed object; my breathing rapid and my sweat cold. Smoothing out P. de St-V's review, I silently reread part of the first sentence, "...but only love is capable of working such a miracle..."

I captured my lower lip between my teeth, pulling hard on the sensitive flesh. Voices from last night echoed in my mind:

"Christine, you must love me!"

"How can you say that to me, when I sing only for you?"

Those words rattled in my brain much like they had before, when I had held this very review the first time. I shut my eyes tight, wanting to silence the voices in my head.

"Tonight I gave you my soul, and I'm dead!" Christine's tear filled voice rung in my mind.

It was plain, as clear as the water surrounding the Cook Islands. She loved him. He loved her. All Christine had needed - and still needed - was a little assurance, a little push.

This time it was Loki's voice that resonated within my head, "And she will love him because of the desire you planted in her."

I had given her that push. I had sung Desire into her head when she slept one night and when she awoke, she knew nothing else but her love for Erik. She was no longer unsure but certain that she would love him and that he would do the same for the rest of their lives. Me. I had used music's power of desire. I had been the one to guide Christine to Erik, just like I accidentally guided him to her. Why? Because I love Erik and I knew he loved Christine. Yes, I know he loved her because of me, but I cannot change that. I have the power to create love but not to diminish it. And, I knew - know - he would be crushed, heartbroken, if she decided she couldn't trust him, couldn't love him, couldn't accept him. And now here I am, about to put all those negative thoughts I just listed into her head so I can win Erik; so I can reverse and change history.

Am I being selfish?

That is a rhetorical question you needn't answer.

I can do this. I can do this. I kept chanting those four words in my head like a mantra my life depended on. Tonight will be the start of our plan, Loki's plan.